Tuesday, May 16, 2023

T Stands for Lunch on Long Sands




The Runaway Weekend (aka Pretend I'm Dead Weekend, or Camp Ogunquit) started with cloudy and cool weather. As soon as we crossed into Maine, the sun came out. 

Check in at the hotel wasn't until 4 pm, so we decided to stop for lunch at the Sun and Surf Restaurant on Long Sands Beach in York, Maine.

While Teague was living in Los Angeles, California when we were in our twenties, I used to go to Long Sands Beach every weekend with another friend I worked with at the hospital. Back then, this restaurant was a small clam shack on the beach where we would get fried clams, French fries, and onion rings.

Hard to believe how upscale this area has become. Mary and I stayed across the street at the Anchorage, a little motel which is now a very expensive resort. When the free parking along the beach filled up, the Anchorage allowed parking on the lawn for $5 for the entire day! Free parking is now metered parking, and I'm sure the Anchorage doesn't allow parking on their property unless you're a guest of the Inn


Fun decor at the Sun and Surf


The restaurant had an outside patio that had a plastic tent/awning as it was a bit windy and chilly. The tent didn't reach to the ground so our ankles got cold. After a couple of weeks of rain and grey weather, it was just too tempting to want to sit "outside" with a view of the ocean.

We both ordered one of the lunch specials a haddock and chips baskets. I had an unsweetened iced tea with lemon.


A view of Long Sands Beach from the restaurant parking lot. Mary and I would have parked our chairs not too far from the water. I don't remember the tide coming in so high as it is in the picture.


Across the way you can see Nubble Light. The black dot just above the wave is a very, brave surfer. Even a wet suit wouldn't keep out the cold of the 44 oF water temperature.


A trip to Ogunquit wouldn't be complete without a stop at Nubble Light.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

28 comments:

  1. Good memories, and what a beautiful view of the beach-I enjoyed your post
    Happy T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love photos of the sea and the restaurant had lovely views, a perfect place to eat.
    Happy T Day, Jan S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good that your weather was pretty, even if cold enough to chill your ankles!
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather improved to unheard of Summer temps, but the water was just too cold to go swimming

      Delete
  4. That view! I'm closing my eyes and imagining I'm sitting there. I brought a jacket in my mind just in case ;)

    Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A jacket is most definitely needed at this time of year.

      Delete
  5. Brrrrr! Northern beaches have CHARACTER! But.....Brrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrrr. is right and it doesn't get much warmer in August 😺

      Delete
  6. York has definitely changed, hasn't it I had winter rentals there for 2 years back in my 20's, and I paid under $200 a month. Now I bet it would cost well over $1000 if not more. But it looks like you had a great time for certain. Metered parking has started so I won't be going back until probably September or October. Oh well, glad you shared these. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary and I stayed at the Anchorage and I think the room rate wasn't over $50 a night! Her parents rented a little cottage on one of the streets off Nubble Light Rd. All the little cottages are gone and replaced with McMansions!

      Delete
  7. I had to laugh at your description of that restaurant as a clam shack. WOW, it has certainly changed, at least if photos of their web site are correct. I know things cost a lot more these days, but you are also paying for all that ambiance and view. I would have loved the haddock, too. Thanks for taking us to Sun and Surf and sharing your meal and iced tea with us for T this Tuesday, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I literally meant this restaurant used to be a clam shack on the beach. See where the ice cream windows are on the right of the building? That was where the clam shack was. All food was take-out. You dined al fresco on your beach blanket or chair. Or Mary and I would run across the street from the Anchorage and then take our dinner back to our room. Frankly, the ambiance and view from the restaurant are worth the price of admission.

      Delete
  8. Many places today have been upscaled beyond belief, sometimes it would be nice to find a simple shack again. Glad you had a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a long, long time since I was in that area. Perhaps a road trip is in order?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give me a holler if you need someone to ride shotgun

      Delete
  10. Looks like a nice place, it's always weird when I see places with the same name as the originals here, like York, or the other week when Erika was in Belfast but not the Belfast I know lol. That is one brave surfer in very cold water! Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erika and I live in the New England region so a lot of our place names were brought here by Puritan and English settlers as a little bit of home.

      Delete
  11. What fun, such beautiful views and a lovely place to have lunch 😊. Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice especially that it wasn't crowded. I bet there will be long waits for seating when the season starts

      Delete
  12. I remember being at Nubble Head on a very foggy evening, so we didn't really see very much. However, I loved the Main coast. But yes, many places do tend to change which can be quite disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Maine coast can be quite murky, but it's still beautiful.

      Delete
  13. It really does look fabulous! We have revisited quite a few places that have gone 'upmarket' and some that are not so good any more. You got a good deal with the parking and fish and chips is always a good idea, belated Happy T Day, hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete