Monday, August 7, 2023

A Gift for the Gardener

Birthday and Father's Day gifts for Himself followed the theme of gifts for the gardener. Doing a search for best gifts for the gardener brought me to Esschert Design USA - Secrets du Potager Paper Pot Maker I found it on Amazon and thought it was very clever.

It comes with a wooden press and you use newspaper torn into 3 1/2 in. wide by 11 in. strips


You roll your strip of paper around the plunger. Fold the bottom of the paper to the plunger.


Insert the plunger into the press and give it a turn


The bottom will be crimped


And now you have a little pot made from newspaper you recycled. Fill with potting soil, plant your seed, and voila! A biodegradable pot for planting seeds and seedlings.


I didn't like the open top of the pot so added another step to the instructions. I folded the top a little bit so everything stays neatly tucked.

14 comments:

  1. That is a great idea. I'm going to go book mark this on Amazon. Happy Monday. Hope you stay dry, but the rain is coming. :( hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today, didn't sound too bad. Sounds like heavier rains and storms for tomorrow

      Delete
  2. Fabulous idea! Happy Monday, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandfather did this but without the aid of the tool. He'd sit for hours folding little newspaper pots. He also used empty egg shells to start seeds and just crushed them when he replanted. Easy peasy with the added benefit of fertiliser built in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also created a few of these by hand, but the tool would make it so much more convenient. My favorite is egg shells. They also biodegrade and add to the soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not being a gardener, I never saw these pots either made by hand or with the tool

      Delete
  5. Cool! I've never seen a tool like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either and the fact that it used recycled paper was a plus too

      Delete
  6. What fun gifts! - Anne (Cornucopia)

    ReplyDelete