Monday, October 9, 2017

Reggie Homework and Snack

During our last class we were working on the Carolingian hand. During his reign, 768 -814 CE, Charlemagne (Karl der Grosser, Charles the Great), engaged English scholar, Alcuin of York to create a bookhand that could be used across the empire and provide continuity. The hand Alcuin came up with was a miniscule Roman hand. Modern readers and writers would recognize these letters as lower-case.

Time got away from me so I didn't do the exact assignments, but at least I have something to show during confession the show and share portion of class.


A traditional Scottish prayer: From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties And things that go bump in the night Good Lord deliver us. The spider wearing red Connies, is descending from his web. The white gel pen didn't show up very well.


A self-portrait piece to celebrate the Halloween season. When I got done the broomstick looked more like a paintbrush so that's how it was colored. This will eventually change into an avatar with me riding a dip pen.


You're not old enough is a phrase that Reggie says a lot during class. If he's in the middle of a lecture or demo and someone asks a question, but he hasn't gotten to the point in the lecture, he will say, "You're not old enough."


Besides all the supplies we need for class, we're also asked to bring in a snack to share. Some of you were wondering what I was going to use the cinnamon chips I found a couple of weeks ago. They are part of the snack I bring. I like a snack I can nibble while at my workstation. It comes from the days of being a computer programmer when we didn't have time to leave to get something to eat. The snack needs to be portable and relatively neat. My snack is a pseudo- trail mix. I use an apple cinnamon cereal, rice cereal, dried cranberries, and some animal crackers. (When I first made the snack, everything was gluten free. With 24 classmates, I thought it would be best to be safe. gluten free, nut free. So I found these gluten-free animal cookies. They have a very nice, vanilla flavor and not too sweet. After seeing what others brought in for snacks, gluten-free didn't seem to be an issue, but I really like these cookies.) During the last class, when I wasn't able to find the cinnamon chips, I made something else, and my tablemate was disappointed. So I'm happy I found the cinnamon chips. I also found some dried apple to add to the mix. If the mix is too sweet, I have some candy ginger pieces that can be thrown in. I don't measure just dump a bit of this and that into a 2-gallon ziplock bag. The mix can be scooped into paper cups and kept close at hand while working. Sometimes official class breaks are sometimes few and far between so a cup of this mixture prevents me from gnawing my pen. 😋

14 comments:

  1. Your lettering is beautiful, and it sounds like your lessons are fun and nourishing. I like the sound of your nibble mix. Love the one with the paint brush-broom. Have a good week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This class is intense. So much information. Nourishing for the soul to be sure, but for the body, lots of chocolate, cakes, and cookies. Snacks of champions

      Delete
  2. I love carolingian. Your calligraphy is beautiful, and I enjoyed seeing what you created. They would make great halloween cards. Great snack too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your self portrait CJ. A little Halloween and a little Harry Potter but neither! And your Carolingian hand is actually quite pretty. It's better than just plain old lower case. :) Happy Monday. Hope you are inside staying dry today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe my avatar will look less Harry Potterish without the broom. Yup, definitely an inside day.

      Delete
  4. Your avatar is going to look awesome! You and Ink on a pen! Puuuurfect! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your self portrait is fabulous. Is your hair really that curly? Mine is natural, so if yours is too, I will wish you a good hair day every day.

    I loved how Ink was your guide, too. I used to have a cat named Dog who I took EVERYWHERE with me. He went on vacations, and I even took him to work if I had to go in on Saturdays. I always said "Dog is my co-pilot."

    I love Craisins. I buy big 5 lb bags of them at Sams. I bet they have them at Costco, too. Looks like a great snack when you need something that won't drip on your art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my hair is curly. I wear it short so the curls get cut off. Hair gel ensures a good hair day. :-D

      We don't belong to one of the bulk store chains. Not much space to store big things in the dollhouse. I do buy a 20 oz. bag of craisins and have been buying ones that boast 20% less sugar. Still tastes great

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you had fun! I love the I can drive a stick:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love your creations! The stick one is adorable! Thank you for telling us your snack mixture! Sounds delicious! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete