Tuesday, June 26, 2018

T Stands for Another Cemetery Hop - Part 2

The cemetery hop continues at the Highland Street Cemetery in Dover.


An Old English "D" with lovely ivy on this granite family monument.


The end of creeping phlox ground cover cascading over stones lining the main road. This was not far from the area where Teague's relatives were buried circa 1865. But there's a bit of a mystery. The plot where they were buried, according to the cemetery records, Rusty, the supervisor found, was a 10 grave plot. Five graves in front and five graves in back, but not one of the graves had a marker. This was also the case for several of her ancestors in other cemeteries. So the mystery? Was the family too poor to afford headstones? Did they use the money for other uses? Is anyone buried in the plot? Someone bought the gravesite, but was anyone actually buried here? She may never find an answer.


Geraniums in the center of the cemetery. Rusty really loves his job.


The grave of a young man killed in action during World War I



I thought this grave of a woman Air Force Service pilot during World War II was a great find. Way to go Mary!

As we moved into the newer section at the back of the cemetery, the stones were not typically what one finds in the newer areas of a cemetery.


A 21st. century grave with a 17th century style slate headstone for this husband and wife. The angels of death look more like cherubs. There was also an old rhyme on the stone:

Stop here my friend & cast an eye
as you are now so once was I
as I am now so you must be
Prepare for death and follow me.

A very sober thought, but not today.


A rough, hewn granite marker


with a charming statue of a woman carrying sheaves of wheat. And of course, I began humming the hymn:

Sowing in the morning, sowing seeds of kindness,
Sowing in the noontide and the dewy eve;
Waiting for the harvest, and the time of reaping,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves.


Again, a new slate stone with


a beautiful inlaid rose. Almost like marquetry, but in stone.




I like the personal touches that people leave for their loved ones. Here a statue of a rabbit and


a duck. Makes you wonder what the story is behind them. Also, someone was a member of Grange. Dover was a small, farming community back in the day. The Grange is a farmers association for social activities, community service, and political lobbying.

I also wondered about the grave with the statue of the woman carrying the sheaves, was that person also a Grange member?


It always sad to come upon the markers for the babies or young children, like the lamb and Our Lizzie from last week.


The Kanjii symbols for Warrior and Scholar are similar.



I laughed out loud when I found this marker. The Diamonds must have had a wonderful sense of humor. At the bottom of the stone: On the road again and a picture of a VW bus.


By the time we got back to Teague's house, it was time for dessert. We went to the local Dairy Queen and had Mini Blizzards in paper cups. I had a Heath Bar (toffee) Blizzard, and Teague had a Cookie Dough. She even held up a napkin as a professional backdrop so I could take the photo.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

41 comments:

  1. You two really found some wonderful and most interesting tomb stones, and I loved the ones with so much humour. Your refreshments look great, too, I wouldn't have minded joining you there. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice that personality can be expressed through a tombstone.

      Delete
    2. The old English tombstones often have jokes and little poems

      Delete
  2. It makes for such an interesting day to view and ponder all the people represented on the tombstones. I do love the humor of the last one-I'd never come across anything like that! Haven't been to a dairy queen in years but it is tempting. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time I’ve ever seen a joke like that on a tombstone.

      Delete
  3. What interesting adventures you have had in the cemetery. That one quote about being how they once were and how they are now is very true but un-nerving. But I really like the one with the VW bus. Maybe someday I will get up the courage for an adventure in the cemetery. Love that you ended the day with blizzards. YUM!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quote was a little nerve-wracking, but typical of very old stones and I supposed even though the slate stone was from this century, they wanted to make it look old.

      Delete
  4. Arent cemetaries interesting. I love to walk in cemetaries. Especially when they are so well maintained as this one.
    A bit of a disappointment there with no indication or stones at the plot. The mystery continues...
    Your dessert or drinks or ice cream (not clear what it is) looks yummy. I do like the professional background, lol!
    Have a great week,
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Blizzard is soft serve ice cream with bits mixed in. I had toffee bits. Teauge had cookie dough. You can get brownie, candies along with chocolate, butterscotch, carmel sauce. Served in a cup so it looks like a very thick shake (frappe where I’m from)

      Delete
  5. Another very interesting post at the cemetery and still the mystery.
    Have a good week and Happy T Day Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful cemetery post. Loved all the photos and Teagues mystery goes on.. And...NOW i want a Blizzard...lol Strawberry Banana please! Happy T day CJ! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO many unanswered questions for Teague! Genealogy can be so frustrating! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so rewarding when you are able to put the pieces together.

      Delete
  8. I love old gravestones, and your tour of the cemetery is quite interesting. This one looks lovely...the little sculptures do add a lot of personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to see these extras as many cemeteries don't allow these things. Simply to make mowing quicker.

      Delete
  9. Such interesting tombstones and I enjoyed seeing the personal touches that people included for their loved ones, they made me smile 😁. Dairy Queen is a favourite place to visit, I'll have a chocolate malt please ...lol 😉. Happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  10. How disappointing for Teaugue after all her searching. Exhumation is not an option!

    You found some fscinating and beautiful headstones once again, CJ. I wonder if part of your fascnation is for the typefaces.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the stones for the art and lettering especially when the stones were carved by hand.

      Delete
  11. I love cemeteries and interesting gravestones and I love to see the US cemeteries - in movies and so on..they are so completely different to our cemeteries here.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Hugs Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. then you must visit a cemetery and take pictures so I can see what a cemetery in Germany looks like.

      Delete
  12. Love doing cemetery walks! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a perfect place for the creeping phlox. I haven't seen any in ages, and it used to be so popular. The tombstones are interesting, and I share the enjoyment of these peaceful, memorial sites.

    Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the creeping phlox is an old-fashioned plant so not popular now.

      Delete
  14. A really interesting post. So many stories from all parts of society to be seen in the graveyards of today.
    Happy t day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the 11th Doctor said: We are all stories in the end so make it a good one.

      Delete
  15. I apologize for visiting late, but this has been a very emotional day in my world. That's why it was difficult to read about some of the headstones and grave markers. The emotion was a bit raw for me, as was the final "On the road again."

    Your blizzards look good, and I like the backdrop for photography purposes. Thanks for sharing these and your blizzards with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful photos. I love seeing all the knick knacks left on graves.
    your blizzards look incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the knick knacks help give a sense of the person.

      Delete
  17. The Diamonds didn't live that long. But I love the quote on their stone. I do love looking at old tombstones. And your sweet little treat looks sooo yummy to me. I think summer was made for ice cream or vice versa. Hope it was a great T day CJ. Hug-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the chipper, upbeat quote. Sort of what you would expect for someone driving a VW bus.

      Delete
  18. That last one is a hoot. The VW bus sounds like folks from my generation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your posts about these interesting cemetery stones. I like mini DQ too. Happy TDay!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A fascinating look around the cemetery - I prefer older gravestones and was quiet enchanted by one we visited in Salzburg a few years ago! I have seen that rhyme before but can't remember where! Your desserts look yummy! Belated Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the art of the old stone especially those carved by hand, but it's a amazing what is being done on gravestones today

      Delete
  21. Great post! I find it so interesting going through cemeteries! The statues are beautiful! I love the woman one! The VW bus was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete