Monday, June 11, 2018

It Started Innocently Enough

Missy models the little dress and shoes.
I thought I would make a pair of baby shoes to use as a package tie for Baby G's christening gift. So I found a pattern and crocheted a pair of Mary Janes. The shoes looked a little too plain so I found pattern and crocheted a tiny bow. All well and good.

Making the little shoes made me think of my mother. She was a professional seamstress. Ma would have been thrilled to have had a great-grandson, but she would have been over the moon having a great-granddaughter to make little dresses for. She made lots of little things for her granddaughters: curtains, quilt, crib bumpers for the nursery, bibs, outfits. 

Since I can't sew, I thought I would try to crochet a little dress, and I found a simple pattern. As I was working on the little dress, I thought how I didn't really make little things for my girlies. I didn't really have the skill or maybe the confidence back then to crochet items for my girlies.

The little dress needed a button so I found a nice one in Ma's button box. Baby G would have a memento from her great-grandmother.



There was still a lot of yarn left over. What ensemble for a little princess would be complete without  a wrap? So I found a sweater pattern made with Granny squares which was the very first thing I learned how to crochet.


I didn't like the collar and ribbon tie of the original pattern so I folded the corners and tacked them down. All set for the little princess.


16 comments:

  1. Nice! You were on a roll. These are adorable. I think some styles just never go out. I remember this color baby yarn-or multi-colored I should say, from many years ago when my daughter was little. Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarn is supposed to be gender neutral in color, but I think it still looks baby girlie.

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous 2 piece, really adorable! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This set is FABULOUS! I love to crochet when I have the time and granny squares are just so much fun to do! My nana taught me when I was a kid. She was right-handed and I am left but I was so determined to learn how to crochet that I sat in front of her while she worked and literally mirrored her. I have never made much else other than scarves with various stitches, hats with pom poms, small afghans, and pot holders and such because I am not good with the pattern directions from most books.

    The button is extra special and she will treasure it as she gets old enough to understand just how special this is!

    KUDOS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I worked in a hospital lab when I was in my late teens and twenties, there was sometimes a lot of down time between patients. Two of my friends crocheted up a storm. One of them was very patient teaching me, but she taught me right-handed. I wasn't confident back then with the instructions, but now I just read one instruction at a time. If the instruction is multiple rounds or rows, I mark the number on a sheet of scrap paper when completed. I've also found tons of YouTube videos that show you exactly what to do which is very helpful

      Delete
  4. That ensemble is adorable. Baby G will be the most stylish baby in her playgroup! ;)
    (and I like the addition of the button from Great Grandma, nice touch.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about stylish, but she'll look old-fashioned. And I thought adding one of Ma's buttons was important

      Delete
  5. What a treasure you've created here. This will get passed down and the stories told for generations to come :) Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have made some lovely items! My Mom was a master seamstress too I learned to sew my clothes when I lived at home-but I was never very good at getting things to fit right.
    I love the button from Great Grandmother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma tried to teach me to sew. For the longest time, I thought I was just too stupid, until I figured out my problem as a lefthander trying to use a right handed machine

      Delete
    2. oh wow would not have thought of that-they must make left handed machines now? it is nice to know how to sew

      Delete
    3. And lefthanded tools and machines are way more expensive. For example, my lefthanded nibs are 17% more expensive than righthanded nibs.

      Delete
  7. Awww, this is so beautiful CJ! Well done! My mom has tried to teach me too, but I just can't get the hang of things. Who knows, maybe in time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll give crochet a try another time.

      Delete