Thursday, October 18, 2018

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

Carver Dress Corp
Nabnassett Lake Country Club
June 24, 1939
Left to right: Ma, Mary, Frank


To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

On December 7, 1941 Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. We took a bad hit. All our naval vessels were in harbor and we lost a good number and also a lot sailors and only a few aircraft were able to get into the air. We were caught with our pants down.

The country for the first time in years came together. Soldiers whose terms were extended no longer threatened to quit. And a lot of the single men volunteered.

The draft was boosted up and my neighbor on the same floor bore the same name as we had. He came crying why did he government call him? He was 70 years old. His first name was also Joseph.

I told him not to worry. That notice is for me. He asked if I was sure. I said I'm within the age they want and you're over. He was relieved and I answered the call on the date shown on the letter.

I continued to work and also told my trainer that I shouldn't have answered the call. He sent me to the chief and I told him. He asked didn't anybody tell you that if you received a notice to appear to bring it here? And you would be deferred. He masked me if I want to hold up on that. I could still get a deferment. I said I would like to go.

Knowing that I would be called soon I spent more time with Mary. In fact as much time as I could.. And would go at her factory to wait for her. 

A few years before I was invited on her factory's annual picnic. She had told her employer what I did for a living [ ed: worked as assistant director at the Boys Club] and he said invite him and ask him to run some games. I did. The workers were having a good time as I ran games that were new to them and they enjoyed it. After that one afternoon when I was waiting downstairs for Mary to quit for the day. He [ed: the boss] came by and said, "You don't have to wait down here. Come wait upstairs" And at time he came out in the corridor and talked with me. I was the only one he allowed to wait outside the door and wait for the employees to quit.

During the time that I was courting Mary she introduced me to Frank DePatto and Mary his intended. They later became Cumpater and Cumater [ed: CJ's godparents]. We got closer as friends.

Mary was part of their bridal group. And after they were married we visited a lot. Cumpater Frank was a wonderful man. If anyone had trouble with him it was because there was something wrong with them. He was a very accommodating individual.

[ed: Ma, Mary, and Frank worked at the Carver Dress Corp. on Kneeland St. (at that time the garment district) in Boston. Carver Dress was noted for ladies' shirtwaist dresses with an unusual, arrow closure, breast pocket. Ma and Mary were stitchers. Frank was a presser.

17 comments:

  1. The people in the photos look good, nice to see people dressed up and not just in jeans and sweats like today. That must have been a scary time with Pearl Harbour. Glad I missed the war by a year! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at old photos, I'm amazed at how people got dressed up for things like sporting events or picnics.

      Delete
  2. Another great chapter from your dad! I agree with Valerie...they dressed up for everything back then. My father used to do gardening in a sports coat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad always wore a hat. When he was dressed he wore a Fedora type hat. When he gardened he wore a baseball cap. When Ma took us to Boston on the subway, when I was a kid, we always had to dress up in our Sunday best.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Indeed. As some of these stories I never heard.

      Delete
  4. what a neat story edition today CJ and the photo is very well preseved; I've got some that are dated later that aren't as nice...carver had a lot of employees really ~~~~~~ ♥♥☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo is an unusual size. 10 in x 24 in. It was so wide, I had to take a (bad) photo of each half. Yes, for a small company a lot of employees. I wonder with the war on the horizon if the company had government contracts to sew uniforms?

      Delete
  5. Amazing to see old photo's like this.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised when I first saw this picture. I knew Ma and Frank worked with each other. They always talked shop and union (ILGW) stuff. I didn't realize Mary worked there, too, and that's how Ma and Mary became friends.

      Delete
  6. I bet you knew that story of how your parents came to knew your godparents, but it was nice to read how important they were to your dad. Are we going to hear about your parents wedding before your Dad heads out to war...(as I imagine he did in some form.) Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really knew how my folks chose my godparents. I knew Ma and Frank worked at the same factory. I never knew Mary worked there, too. And to answer your question. Maybe = ^,.^=

      Delete
  7. I love these photos CJ!!
    These stories are so amazing! Hearing how everything came about in your family's life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve seen the old photographs, but never knew the stories behind them. Reading them now makes the photos extra special

      Delete
  8. Although I’m still not well, I apologize for taking so long to visit. I am just now making it out of bed for the first time in three days without getting sick or the chills.

    I enjoyed reading about the war effort and your mother's job. Your father was so well versed on things, and yes, from what I have READ, we did get caught with our pants down, even though I think Roosevelt was hoping for a way to get us into the war, so did nothing to stop the attack, which many believe he knew about in advance.

    Off to catch up even more, dear.

    ReplyDelete