Thursday, August 29, 2019

This and That Thursday


On the way to class as I was walking down the path, 3 nuns were coming up the narrow path towards me. Suddenly, I was back in parochial school. I stepped off the path to yield the right of way to the nuns. As I walked past each of them, I mumbled "Good morning, Sister. Pard' me, Sister." Yup, you can take the girl out of parochial school but you can't take parochial school out of the girl. 😺


As happens when lettering, you inevitably make a mistake. Rather than re-letter the piece, mistakes can be corrected by carefully using an exacto knife. Valerie had an even better tool, an electric eraser. It was amazing how well it worked. She said the model she has is old and no longer made. Too bad. She also gave me a suggestion to use shell gold where I had made a mistake.


We had to take turns during lunch and dinner to say grace. Some of the graces were really beautiful sentiments of fellowship, the island. Hard acts to follow. For my grace, I sang a grace from Girl Scouts.

Bless our food, we share with friends today
Grant us peace and love along the way.  (sung to the tune of Make New Friends)

We also had awesome dessert. Fruit of the Forest Pie. Raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries. The chef knew how to bake a perfect crust, too. I love pie. 


After dinner, I had tea under a grape arbor with one of my classmates. Good tea, good conversation, and a beautiful sunset.


22 comments:

  1. I like seeing your travel journal and reading your memories of your class. You have a cool memory book and I like your drawings! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's strange that such a situation can suddenly take you right back when..... I think you enjoyed the week there very much. Have a great day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing the nuns and having that reaction was just so funny.

      Delete
  3. Your art journal pages are lovely. (I wish I could draw/sketch/paint.) I'm enjoying reading about your time there, in your Thursday posts.

    BTW, I checked to see where Putnam, CT is, relative to me. It's almost 2 hours away, whereas Enders Island is about 1.5 hours away. (I'm in the southwest section of CT.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I looked up some of the places you have mentioned and your practically in NY 😉 (as calculated using Bostonian geography)

      Delete
  4. what a fun art journal! love the sketches:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like looking at your travel journal! Thanks for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your art journaling :) It's been decades since I last saw a nun in a habit. That pie sounds (and looks) delicious. I buy mine lol It must be satisfying to be able to make a fruit pie people praise :) I was a girl scout but don't remember that grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nun who was our spiritual leader had said she asked for a modified habit because she felt she would be able to minister more effectively. These nuns were from overseas so I imagined a traditional dress helped them in their ministry.

      I have made my own pie crust, but it’s so labor intensive. I usuall buy ready made crust.

      I think scout stuff might be regional

      Delete
  7. sounds like an awesome day CJ; I like the sketches you made with the jounal entries...did dad ever sketch in his notebook ?

    ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only once . He was describing a little girl playmate. She had long banana curls so he doodled some corkscrews to indicate her curls. That drawing cracked me up

      Delete
  8. I'd LOVE to be able to draw like you, CJ, but it's just not in my wheelhouse. It never will be, either. I tried to draw a snowman once and even that was laughable!

    You are SO good with finding gadgets that work, I bet you are able to find one of those electric erasers. Hopefully a newer design is better, although that is often not the case.

    I'm not a Catholic, and the last time I was in church was for a wedding, so your deflecting to the nuns reminded me of my friend Joseph, a devout Catholic. It brings up feelings of guilt. Joseph feels guilty if his dog farts. Now you know why I don't talk religion (grin).

    Like you, I LOVE pie. No one could make a crust like my grandmother. Hers were so flaky and rich. Your pie sounds like something my grandmother would have enjoyed making. And of course, I loved the sketch of it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of my drawings more as doodles. And the only way to get good at something is to practice or trace. Tracing is an art form in itself.

      Ah guilt. Yup, Catholics start early on the guilt trip and can raise it to an art form 😁 I just found it amusing that even though I am grossly lapsed, I could get pulled right back in so quickly.

      I bet your grandmother would have approved of the chef's pie crust. It was that good.

      Delete
  9. I love the piece of pie you drew! I love pie period;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty pleased with how the drawing turned out, too.😺 And I don't think I've met a pie I didn't like.

      Delete
  10. I think your art journal pages are lovely.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful CJ! I love the story about the nuns! LOL! You sang?? Wow! That was special!!

    ReplyDelete