Tuesday, August 20, 2019

T Stands for 34


On Sunday, Himself and I celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary.  We went to the UxLocale, a favorite spot for us for special occasions. The restaurant is in a rustic setting. There's a patio, but it was too hot so the patio was closed. Sunday hours are only from 4 pm - 7pm so we got there just as the restaurant opened.


Inside it was cool. Chef Elaine used to work at the art museum. At the museum I called her My Favorite Elaine. She came over to our table to say hello, and she told me she didn't have any clams left for my favorite dish, linguine a la vongola even though she said she bought 50 lbs of clams for the weekend. She said next time to call ahead. So sweet she remembered what I liked.

There were other delicious selections on the menu to choose from.


The waitress brought a basket of bread and gravy (tomato sauce). 


I had a Rosé Prosecco for my beverage and Himself  had a coke. While we waited for the appetizer, we reminisced. Well, I did as Himself said he didn't remember much about the wedding.


After the bridal party went down the aisle, the doors to the church were closed and then opened for my entrance on my dad's arm. Just as the doors were opened, Dad whispered, "This is what it must be like?" 
"What?"
"Walking to the electric chair."
"Thanks, Daddy."


Himself did remember that he couldn't get the ring on my finger. It was hot inside the church. The fans at the front didn't really help. My fingers had swollen like little sausages. He was trying to put the ring on my finger, but didn't want to hurt me. I think he was afraid he would break my finger.
"Here. Give me," I whispered, and took the ring and jammed it on my finger. Himself reminded me that technically he didn't put the ring on my finger. "Tough, we're married." I told him the official time was 3:30 PM as I had looked at my watch.


We had the Wild Card Sampler Board as an appetizer.


In the limo on the way to the reception, a couple on a motorcycle waved at us and gave us a thumbs up. Himself was surprised I could remember something like that. It's a savant thing


The official photographer was a royal pain. She was crabby, and yelled at everyone because she wanted people to stand with their feet at a 45 degree angle. That's why my Mother-in-Law and us are looking at the floor. Terrified our feet aren't in the right position. I didn't want her as I had a friend who was a photographer, and I wanted him to take photographs, but she came with the wedding package. So she took the official photos, and David took all the candids.


Our meals came with a house salad. Elaine has such pretty presentations with her food.


We didn't get a chance to eat much at the reception. People were interrupting us with pictures or having to do some wedding thing like


 our first dance. Only You by the Platters 


And then there was the Father-Daughter Dance, Sunrise, Sunset from Fiddler Mother-Son Dance. Dancing was torture to Himself as he doesn't like to dance.


We didn't have to worry about not eating at Elaine's. Himself had Opah, a fish a bit like swordfish in a  chimichurri sauce. It was delicious. I got a bite.


and I had beautiful pan-seared scallops


The wedding cake was made of plaster of Paris. A chocolate sheet cake was cut and boxed up for guests to take home. At the time, the signature dessert of Lombardo's, where the reception was held was Cherries Jubilee. The lights in the ballroom were dimmed and the waitstaff brought in flaming bowls of cherries. The flaming concoction was ladled and swirled like a fire dance and poured over vanilla ice cream. Oooh, aaaah!



While waiting for dessert, I had a cup of tea

We didn't see much of each other at the reception. After going around to all the tables thanking people for coming, Himself went to chat with his friends, and I danced with The Brother, all my uncles, Himself's uncles, Himself's cousin and 


my dear friend, Derry.



I asked Himself if he remembered my Uncle Tony, singing and dancing. Nope. Uncle Tony rarely went to family functions, but he seemed to have a good time at our wedding.


For dessert, Himself chose Uncle J-J's Key Lime Pie. Also very yummy. 😋 Ask me how I know?


I had Vanilla Ice Cream and Almond Joy Macaroons. All to myself because Himself hates coconut.


I couldn't finish dessert so got to take the macaroons home.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

38 comments:

  1. Good morning, I really enjoyed your wedding post-fun about the thumbs up from the motorcyclist and I have never heard of a plaster of paris cake-do you still have it?
    the food at the restaurant looks and sounds amazing! what a lovely dinner and good memories
    Happy T wishes Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plaster cake was provided by the venue and just for show, and they did all the catering. I think there was a plaster cake for each of the function rooms based on the color of the room. I don't think cakes were such a big deal back then as they are today. The wedding cake was large sheet cakes. You had your choice of serving the wedding cake as dessert or having the cake boxed for guests to take home. As I said, the signature dessert was the Cherries Jubilee so Ma wanted that. Cake slices were boxed up for guests. The venue also baked a small, round cake, like the top of the wedding cake for us to take home.

      Delete
    2. thanks-sounds like a nice way to do the cake and less expensive too. I had a blue jean wedding at our farm and all of our friends brought something-one made us a cake-I haven't gone to many weddings-one I really remembered was a greek one in Chicago that went all out-a huge cake with a waterfall and a very expensive sweet table back in the 80s thanks for explaining hugs

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a good anniversary at Elaine's. The wedding photos looked fun, too. It all looks very tempting, those macaroons are calling to me. Happy Anniversary and happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! Looks like it was a fun wedding (and a fun anniversary!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! The restaurant looks like a wonderful place to celebrate, and I enjoyed all your wedding photos. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine’s meals are always memorable and paired well with reminiscing about our wedding

      Delete
  5. Happy anniversary! I love how you posted your story and wedding photos in between your special dinner.Lovely memories. Your meal would be my choice for sure:) Happy T day too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And you would have loved the scallops 😋

      Delete
  6. These are BEAUTIFUL photos! Thank you so much for sharing them with us and HAPPY 34th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many congratulations and Happy 34th Anniversary to you both! I loved seeing your wedding photos and reading about your happy memories too, you both look wonderful and so happy 😁. Wishing you a very happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Thank you for sharing these wonderful memories! Happy Anniversary! I specifically liked your memory of the photographer and you looking at your feet! I laughed out loud! Looked like a wonderful wedding. Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many photos of people looking at their feet 😄

      Delete
  9. I loved hearing about and seeing pictures of your wedding. So very funny that comment about the electric chair. And that photo of the three of you looking at your feet...I had to chuckle. Cranky photographers should not be allowed when you are paying for their services. Especially when it is your special day.
    And all the dishes you shared are making my mouth water. YUM!
    Happy Anniversary and Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate. When the wedding coordinator asked how things were, I gave her an earful about the photographer

      Delete
  10. What an amazing retrospective. Had to laugh at your father's comment about death row. Loved the photo of the two of you in the limo with champagne.

    I can't believe that about cakes and venues. The last two weddings I attended, the bride and groom have each planned it themselves. They sourced everything from the flowers to the invitations to the photographer to the cake. Both couples said they saved a bunch of money by doing it themselves. One of the grooms said his favorite part was when potential cake makers provided several different styles and cakes for them to taste. Too bad you missed out on SO much by hiring a venue. But I sure enjoyed the photos that were interspersed with the meal you had. Now I'm truly hungry, but who wouldn't be after seeing that five course meal. WONDERFUL post, dear CJ and happy, happy 34th, too.

    Thanks for sharing these photos of both your wedding and your anniversary with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weddings have become a really big industry now than back then. Too bad we missed out on the cake tasting

      Delete
  11. Many Happy Anniversary Wishes.
    This was such a lovely post.

    The restaurant looks very nice, as does the food (I love scallops) and it was so nice to see your wedding photographs.

    Great post.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love Elaine’s restaurant Her presentations are always beautiful

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on your Wdding Anniversary. It was a super post to read and lovely photos from your special day. The meal you had at the restaurant to celebrate your anniversary looked delicious.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed reading this post, and chuckled quite a few times. I can't believe your father said that to you! :-) It sounds like everyone has a good sense of humor. Congratulations on the anniversary. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you knew my dad, you'd believe it. A little legal humor for comic relief 😺

      Delete
  14. I love seeing these wedding photos. It looks like you had a great time and a very nice affair. I like that photo of you dancing. Smile. I'm guess UxLocale is in Uxbridge, which I don't know at all, but it looks like a cool place and how nice the chef remembered your favorite dish-although too bad they were out of clams. Hope it was a happy anniversary. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The UxLocale is in Uxbridge. A little off the beaten path, but so worth it. Next time, I'll call ahead an maybe she can save some clams for me. 😺

      Delete
  15. Happy 34th anniversary! Thank you for sharing your wedding day interspersed with photos of your posh dinner. That food looks delicious. Each and every course. UxLocale is a good cook.
    I didn't think much of the plaster of paris cake at your wedding, but perhaps that's how they did things in those days.
    And then the cranky photographer. I suppose you regretted not having organized it yourself, but looking at you uncle, everyone had a lot of fun and you had a good marriage if it lasted those 34 years. (In spite of what you father said as he walked you down the isle!)
    Thank you for sharing your memories,
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things were so different back then. Ma liked the idea that the venue handled everything. Food,flowers, photo, band. The cake looked very real so the guests never realized it was a fake cake. 😄

      Delete
  16. What a fun way to present a memory. It was a wonderful read!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy 34th, CJ! I can't believe your dad said that to you before he walked you down the aisle. Now I know where you got your sense of humor! Funny stories about your wedding.

    I can top your bad photographer story. Ours was a friend of my mom's who needed work. She had her camera set for outdoor shots as we all arrived at the church. She never changed the settings for indoors. So we have no decent "professional" photos of the ceremony OR the reception. Just candid shots that friends took. Now you know why she couldn't get work.

    Thanks for sharing your lovely wedding photos. Sorry I can't reciprocate. 😉

    I never heard of a plaster of Paris wedding cake. Did you save it? I don't know what one would do with it, but it sure is pretty. Maybe it was rented?

    I saw your pan-seared scallops and knew what to fix for dinner! Thank you. I make very good pan-seared scallops and we haven't had them for quite a while.

    What a fun post, CJ. You crack me up.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plaster cake belonged to the venue. So each bride that had her reception in that particular ballroom. (They had several), had the same “cake” I did as the cake was matched to the decor of the room.

      Dad was quite a character so what he said as we started the walk down the aisle, is so typical.

      Thank you for the anniversary wishes, and glad I could help with your menu planning 😺

      Delete
  18. Happy 34th CJ!!!!! Many blessings to you and your hubby! Thanks for making my day! I am smiling!! Thank you for sharing all of this with us! Such a beautiful bride you were! Love what your father said to you! LOL! Such a joker! LOL! I think I would have told the photographer to bug off! LOL! That was funny about how you put your ring on!! Great post!!
    Love the restaurant you went to! The food looks amazing!
    Big Hugs CJ!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy. I'm glad you liked my post. 😊

      Delete
  19. OOhh Happy Anniversary CJ !! Wish you the best for ever, always Happy both you and your husband ♥
    Thanks so much for sharing these so wonderful photographs from your wedding.... spectacular!
    Your meals look delicious, the dessert too, hope you had a very happy T-day.
    I wish you a very nice Friday, and send
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caty! Thank you for your wishes. T Day is always nice when friends come to visit. 😊

      Delete