Thursday, November 14, 2019

Book Turkey Craft

* Warning. This post is not for people who get squeamish about altering books by tearing pages. You know who you are. 😺


I spent Saturday in the craft room of my local library learning how to alter a book to make a turkey. The instructions are deceptively simple, though the task can be monotonous and depending on the size of the book you are using take a lot longer than you think.


For this craft you will need: 2 hard cover books. The Librarian said a book of about 200 pages was a good size to use. A glue gun. Lots of glue sticks, an X-acto knife and I would add a roll of tape. You will also need to draw a turkey head or find a coloring book image or clip art. Your turkey head should have two sides. You may need to copy your image and then reverse it and glue both sides together. The Librarian had  pre-printed turkey heads for us and had pages already to be used for the turkey tail.


Open up the book you are going to use to make your turkey. From the very first page, fold the page up into a triangle right to the spine. 

With your X-acto knife, cut along the top of the triangle to the spine. Then cut along the spine to the top of the page. Remove the page. If you cut deep enough, you can remove several pages at once.

Repeat until you have folded all the pages in your book into triangles and removed the top section of pages. You can recycle the top pages as they won't be used in the rest of the craft.


From the second book, cut  all the pages along the spine. You might want to do this first to save some time. Take a page and roll it into a cone. Secure the page with tape. (We didn't have tape to use at the library and just put a dab of hot glue on the end. I found that the page would sometimes unroll so thought the bit of tape would be more secure)


The rolled pages are the tail feathers for the turkey. Glue them to the book to form the fan. The Librarian thought it was easier to work from the ends to the center. Whatever works for you. You can have as many rows of feathers as you like.


If the back of your turkey looks unsightly you can cut a semi-circle from the books pages. I didn't have book pages that were wide enough so I taped two pages together.


Glue the semi-circle over the paper cones to hide the uneven or messy back.


Insert your turkey head into the folded pages and admire your work. Depending on the size of your book and how quickly you work, the project can take 2 hours. 

While the group was working, we were talking about how to add color. Some people thought of spray painting the turkey. I though an easier solution would be to use glossy, magazine pages for the turkey tail feathers.

The Librarian said the front and back edges of the book can also be decorated with pine cones, small pumpkins, or flowers to create a fancier centerpiece.

If you don't want to destroy alter any of the books on your book shelf, ask your librarian if there are books the library is going to recycle. Old dictionaries, encyclopedia, old textbooks would be perfect for altering. The Librarian used books for this craft that they had received that were misprinted  and the publisher didn't want them returned. At my library there are also books for sale for $1. The money for these books is used by the Friends of the Library to sponsor programs such as this book craft. 

36 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fun afternoon. Sent your packet off today! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool! And looks like fun. I like the end result! Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome CJ! It turned out really great! I'am altering my first book and will be showing it on the blog soon.. I never thought to give a warning but i will now.. I love books.. hardcover.. handheld books and i would never alter one if it wasn't headed to recycle or the dump.. What a great Thanksgiving craft! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who was a librarian and she gets all twitchy when I've altered books. She doesn't believe a book should be abused in such a manner even though I've told her that an altered book goes from the trash heap to art. I'll look forward to seeing your altered book.

      Delete
  4. You had a lot more patience than I. I made something once using that folding technique. One time was definitely enough for me. Your centerpiece turned out great. It is a very clever idea. However, I could NEVER use a dictionary for that. Dictionaries are for mixed media!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dictionaries for mixed media made me laugh. 😺

      Delete
  5. Oh wow this is very fun!
    I have a question where would one begin to try out calligraphy? I have horrible penmanship but I would love to try this at least once I know it takes allot of practice-I was looking at crayola but they are using all sorts of things instead of the pens

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really cute! I've never seen this before, thanks for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Old textbooks are perfect for this! They get pulped anyway, so no guilt :) It looks complicated, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not complicated. Just time consuming. Especially if you have a tome to fold. 😺

      Delete
  8. thiz post iz knot for catz... who haza "thing"... bout burd ~~~~~

    ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Tabbies. Ink loved birds especially chicken and turkey. He loved fish, too, but was allergic to it. Go figure!

      Delete
  9. Thrift stores are also great for books to alter. In our city we have a Goodwill Bins store, it's like the Goodwill outlet store :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. How amazing! I will have to try this with my teen gr-daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two HUNDRED pages? Well, the result is stunning & yes, it would make an awesome centerpiece:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The size of the book will determine how full or thin the turkey body is. So a book with only 50 pages say, won't have the fullness of a 200+ page book

      Delete
  12. Impressive but I'd rather have a simple hand turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a stunning make! The turkey looks so amazing and is beautifully detailed - I love it 😁. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. well i need to come back and go through this post more slowly - this is v-e-r-y- intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if you have any questions, just give me a holler

      Delete
  15. The end result looks great, even though I'm one of those squeamish people you mentioned. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is amazing …
    A friend of mine made a hedgehog from old books, they look good too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who adores hedgehogs. I should see if I can find the instructions.

      Delete