Monday, November 11, 2019

The Prayer of St. Francis - Paint Swatches


With the prayer lettered (I think I forgot to mention we used Moon Palace sumi ink), it was time to paint the poppies red.

We used this 24 set of Gansai watercolors. These are traditional Japanese watercolors. The colors are more opaque than typical watercolors used in the West.

 I was introduced to the White Gansai pan paint by Valerie Weismueller. The white was used in white work (dots and doodles) on illuminated initials. The white didn't fade into the darker colors of the letters.


We were going to use the paints right out of the pan. No color mixing! I liked that because I'm not really good at mixing colors. We painted samples of the colors to be used on the Moulin du Roy paper so we could see how the paint and paper would react and how the colors would look.


The poppy design was outlined with a .01 Sakura Pigma pen, and then we were ready to paint.

I'm writing this post a few days ahead of time and scheduled to post on 11. November. Veteran's Day or Armistice Day. The red poppy, the remembrance poppy was inspired by John McCrae's poem, In Flanders Fields. I'm struck by the serendipity of the remembrance poppy and the poppies used in the St. Francis prayer.

20 comments:

  1. Your lettered prayer looks wonderful. Love the poppies, and they are really perfect for today. Have a good one! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say, I have something that I think you would like. I can't find your snail-mail addy, I put it somewhere safe, so please me so kind to send it to me! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lettering! You have a real eye for it, and I can tell you've been practicing this art for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Just plain WOW!!!! ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, fantastic colors for the poppies. In Flanders Fields is a lovely but sad poem. I wish we still called today Remembrance Day, instead of Veterans Day. We can honor all Veterans like we do, but I think the word remember helps remind us never to forget the sacrifices all veterans have made for us. Just my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Armistice Day or Remembrance Day worked before we got stupid enough to have to number and have more wars. 😿

      Delete
  6. Your lettered prayer is SO beautiful! And, yes, the poppies are perfect for this day:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so lovely and I love the poppies.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. That came out gorgeous CJ.And I love reading about the watercolors. I don't know much about watercolors, so it was a nice little learning bit. I hope you had a super T day and don't get any bad weather tonight and in the morning. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might get some flurries, but that's about it. It will get bitterly cold on Wed. so bundle up

      Delete
  9. CJ; this is awesome, truly.. no joke... you betcha...AWESOME !!!! ☺☺♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, this is so so beautiful! great job on those poppies.

    ReplyDelete