Monday, December 9, 2019

Happy Mail

 While organizing the studio, I found another bit of happy mail I set aside and then forgot about. In 2015 at my first class at Enders Island, I met a friend, MB. We've kept in touch since then.  Besides calligraphy, MB is also an iconographer.

Tucked inside the beautiful notecard with a stained glass piece of Frank Lloyd Wright were some scraps of vellum. When MB saw the poppies from The Prayer of St. Francis, she thought I might like to experiment with painting and calligraphy on vellum. She thought the poppies would look really nice on the vellum. She also included some helpful hints on how to work on vellum.

For those of you who don't know, vellum is animal skin and was the traditional substrate used during the Middle Ages. Vellum can be from calf, lamb, or goat. Parchment is from pig.

MB thinks these scraps are calf, and if I like working on vellum, she said she can send me a larger piece.

Thank you, MB, for your generosity. Hopefully, I'll have time to experiment after the holidays.

20 comments:

  1. That's a fun present. I'm sure you will enjoy using it! Have a great week, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is gorgeous card. It really caught my eye. Glad you found it. Happy Monday. Stay dry. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a happy day! Hope you get some time to experiment after the Christmas holidays, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy mail is the best! Can't wait to see what you do with the vellum. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yahoooooo, Happy Mail - Also, Really Enjoyed Your Garden Grow Post

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Happy Mail!-always so fun-and thank you for explaining what vellum is-I was wondering about what it was as I ran into it being mentioned in calligraphy books etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vellum is lovely to work on, but very expensive as the process to prepare it is very labor intensive.

      Delete
  7. I do hope you get some time to experiment after the Christmas holidays …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful gift!!!! Thank you for telling us what Vellum is!

    ReplyDelete