Monday, December 2, 2019

Second on the Second

A Throwback Thursday from 10. December 2015

Many years ago, and another life time away when I was in college, I was engaged to be married. As it turned out, things with the relationship didn't go well, and I ended up breaking the engagement on a cold, Christmas Eve morning. Yes, I have impeccable timing.

After getting back into the dating game, and dating a string of young men all named Tom (very weird coincidence), I was lamenting to Ma in a 20-something, melodramatic way, I just wanted to hear bells when I was with "THE One". She, of course, relayed this gem to long time friends, Charlie and his wife, Doris.

During the middle of the Great Depression, Dad met Charlie at the Settlement House in East Boston. Charlie was a social worker, and had started a boys and girls club at the Settlement House. Dad, in his teens, was hanging out there, and Charlie took Dad under his wing. Charlie gave Dad odd jobs to do, either at the club or at his house. When Dad dropped out of high school, Charlie convinced him to go back to school, and Dad lived with Charlie and his family for awhile.

So, the following Christmas, or maybe it was in July because we sometimes had Christmas in July with Charlie and Doris because of bad weather at Christmas, Charlie sent me a small, brass bell so I would always hear bells. Charlie was a practical joker, but the bell became a fixture on my Christmas tree.

Charlie passed away before Himself and I became an item. So Charlie,  I just wanted to let you know. I hear bells every single day.

It's your turn to play. From Elizabeth: Now it's time to share your Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  Join hosts Bleubeard and Elizabeth to see what else is being served up the Second Time Around.

19 comments:

  1. How incredibly sweet, CJ. Too bad Charlie didn't get to meet himself and learn the fulfillment of the story. I can't call it the end, because it apparently is still going strong. Love that you have that bell on your tree every year, too. Thanks for sharing this second look with us on the 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm sorry Charlie never got to meet Himself. Charlie would have approved.

      Delete
  2. Lovely story and great memories. Happy 2nd on the 2nd, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning CJ I really loved this story-thank you sooo much for sharing with us very special memories-hugs
    Happy Second on the 2nd Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, sweet story! I enjoyed the 're-run'! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to laugh at your comment to me. I had one of those TI calculators, too. The school I went to insisted we buy them. We got a discount but not much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful story! And a fairytale ending, perfect for Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, CJ, what a wondrous story. Brings moisture to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a really sweet story, and I am glad you included it because I missed it the first time. I have some bells on my Christmas tree, and I shall never hear them the same way again. But the bells will make me think of my husband. Happy December 2. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for repeating this lovely, lovely story! So glad I didn't miss it:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely story and great memories :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a priceless story! Thanks for sharing CJ!

    ReplyDelete