Saturday, October 16, 2021

Saturday Morning at the Library


The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
written and illustrated by Howard Pyle

When I was 5 years old, I was forced to take dancing lessons while the Brother was forced to take accordion lessons. I hated dancing class. The Knights of Columbus Hall where the classes were given had no heat or it wasn't turned on. I hated wearing the pink beginner tights. I liked clacking around in the tap shoes, but Ma wouldn't let me practice inside the house on the wood floors. I spent most of my time in class being miserable and crying. Eventually, I was taken out of class.

While the Brother still had to endure accordion lessons, Dad took me to the library. He would leave me upstairs in the children's library where I could look at the books and choose to take some books home with my own library card. As I got older, I would go downstairs to the adult library and wander among the stacks enjoying the scent of the books before going to find Dad in the reference area consulting the law books and catching up on his work.

So for the next several weeks, a list of my favorite books, some I have read as a child, others as an adult and some  I have read more than once.

This week, The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood written and illustrated by Howard Pyle.  If you haven't read this book, you can find read it for free online at The Gutenberg Project or find it at your public library or at your favorite bookstore.

15 comments:

  1. I haven't ever read this book, but I used to play Robin Hood with my cousins when we were little. I always got stuck as Maid Marion being the only girl. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Brother had a Robin Hood costume that I coveted. He let me where the cap a time or two

      Delete
  2. I remember the movie - and the idea of course. Quite political these days (and back then, just in this story "pure").

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a kid I loved the adventures of Robin Hood, and there was a TV series with Roger Moore as Robin Hood! Enjoy your weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thin you’re thinking of Ivanhoe. Roger Moore was Ivanhoe. Richard Greene was Robin Hood on the television show

      Delete
  4. IMHO no book could ever beat the 1938 movie The Adventures of Robin Hood!!! (Just sayin'......) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Errol Flynn was great as Robin Hood. Welcome to Sherwood!

      Delete
  5. I've never read that book, but would like to some day. All I know is from what I learned in fairy tales. Thanks for this recommendation, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably know a lot about Robin Hood, then.

      Delete
  6. A treasure, that book. The kids all loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like the King Arthur stories, RH never gets old.

      Delete
  7. Many, many years ago ... I seem to recall watching Robin Hood when Richard Greene was the actor, I enjoyed the series.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete