Thursday, June 30, 2022

Throwback Thursday - The Stick Book



This was one of the first books I made and an early calligraphy work that doesn't make me cringe when I look at it. I scribed and illustrated a poem that was written by the Eldest when she was a child.

The book structure is called a Stick Book by Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord  I thought the binding was clever. The pages are held in place with any sort of straight "stick": an actual stick, plastic drinking straw, pencil, or dowel.

The book measure 4.25 in. x 5.5 in. The cover was made from a piece of black Canson mi Tientes that was marbled with Ziller acrylic inks. The marbling was done in a workshop taught by my Aussie friend, Kaz when she came up over in 2000 to teach workshops around the US.

The paper is called Diploma parchment. I don't know the mill just it's paper that is traditionally used to print diplomas on. The paper works well with ink, watercolor/gouache, and gilding. Its thickness/weight is about a 90 lb. watercolor paper.


Title page: Fall written with gouache. Leaves punched from the marbled paper. I did not correct spelling errors or punctuation. 


Fall is here near peak
some color past peak
leafs Fall down


Verso (left page): turn colors Th winf
blows Cool birds fly
South days grow shorter

The illustration was a torn scrap of watercolor paper, crumpled, and painted 

Recto (right page): nights longer winter is
coming near, grass Gets frost on it we wear


Verso: two layers of mateiril.
sweaters jacket
sweatshirts dress warm.

Recto: Colophon
Fall was written by
Angelica Kennedy, age 6.
Photograph of Angel, age 5, 
and Cory, age 1, taken
6. October 1993 - Sutton, MA
Scribed with pride by
C. J. Kennedy - Sept. 2003

13 comments:

  1. So beautiful, what a wonderful memory! Have a great July, look after yourself! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. Autumn can wait a loooooong time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaawww what lovely memory you can treasure forever CJ ! What a beautiful little book.. and that binding so unique! I've never seen that before... Hugs~ deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a real beauty. I can see why you were so proud of this book. Really lovely calligraphy, photo, and drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww.....♫♪♫♪♫♪ mem-or-ries, mem-or-ries ♫♪♫♪♫♪ ...... (I'm a sucker for 'menstoes' too!) [menstoes=momentos]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thought you were going to admit to an unusual fetish 😺

      Delete
  6. I think it's really lovely CJ. And it must be precious because the poem (which is quite good) was written by your daughter. And I do like your illustrations a lot. I'm glad you shared this. And I like the stick too. I also wanted to mention about the honey in the bee hive. All the white you see in the last photo is capped honey. They put a white wax on it so it doesn't drip all over the bee hive. And if you push your finger into it, it comes out covered in honey. I will do a honey post later on. I'm not supposed to collect honey year one of a hive, so I don't know if I'll get any this year or not. But I can post about it. Happy end of June!!! hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is awesome, and not just because the word "fall" is involved :) ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very special. Thanks for sharing. It made me smile.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is lovely, very special :)

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for you lovely comments

    ReplyDelete