Thursday, July 20, 2023

It's All Happening at the Zoo



Looking for something to do close by while the Eldest was still home, we decided to visit Southwick Zoo. The zoo is spread out over 200 acres and has over 850 animals. 

We have never been to the zoo as a family. When the girlies were little there was a Kindergarten field trip to the zoo. When the Young One was 8 years old, one of her school friends had a birthday party at the zoo.

Of course we picked one of the hottest and humid days to visit. We arrived close to lunch time. Most of the animals weren't active either due to just having been fed or it was too hot and humid to do much


This white rhinoceros was playing with the log and moving it back and forth.



You could have a ride on the dromedary.




Cat nap


Tyger, tyger, burning bright



Leona having a nap




A very handsome Pumba


The snow leopard was chilling on a ledge by the stone wall






The gibbon had a baby. He's clinging to her upside down while she reaches into the snack bucket.



Are you looking at me?


Diving for snacks


16 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about each of the animals you saw. My favorite is the snow leopard. I think it's because it's vulnerable, bordering on endangered, and we don't have any at our zoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sad to see how many animals are endangered.

      Delete
  2. Good idea, the local zoo - we haven´t been in ages.
    Oh, I remember one Perth-zoo-visit. Signs said the animals can hide in the shade. Guess what...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to this zoo since my daughter was little. Of course this summer it seems most days are hot and humid., so I'm not sure you could have picked a day that was really better to go, at least so far. How long is eldest home for or has she left by now? Enjoy this day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love going to the zoo. My parents used to go when they were young and they would take us at least once every summer while we were growing up. I used to take my kids several times a year. I still go lol Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A visit to the zoo is aways good! Have a great day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been to a zoo in years, I always enjoyed going ... perhaps we will put it on our to do list!
    I enjoyed your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did the critters have good size areas to roam in? With that much acreage it sounds like it.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seemed to have enough room to move around in.

      Delete