Sunday, July 30, 2023

How Does Your Garden Grow?


Himself moved the bird feeder away from the shed so the furry Wallendas don't have easy access to the seed. 

I filled the feeder just before some wicked thunderstorms rolled through. It's amazing how many birds flock to the feeder during bad weather.


A goldfinch shares the feeder with the female cardinal. She's on one of the back perches.


The male cardinal came for his turn at the feeder


A bunny came out for a drink and a nibble.


So didn't the squirrel. None of the wildlife seemed to be bothered by the vivid lightning and booming thunder. And a couple of those lightning strikes were really close. They made Quill and I jump in the sunroom.


After the storm, a magnificent sunset


with amazing


and


vivid colors.


Quill inspects Godzillini Himself picked from the garden.


That's an 18 in. ruler next to it.



A couple of volunteers from the Senior center came to help us weed.


The hydrangea isn't as showy as other years. Too much rain? Too much humidity? But it's still pretty.


Birthday month ended and since it's been so tropical, I put out a tropical garden flag.


I'm all set to Welcome the Beach when I leave for Camp Newport tomorrow

How does your garden grow?

18 comments:

  1. No wonder why you were thinking about prissy's zucchini bread. I miss my bird feeders at this time of year, so I'll enjoy yours. If only they weren't such an attractive for bears too. :) Happy Sunday. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can make lots of zucchini breads 😺

      Delete
    2. I lost my recipe for zucchini bread. Do you have one you'd like to share?

      Delete
    3. Prissy's Zucchini Bread Recipe The tweaks I made this time around. I substituted brown sugar for half the regular sugar. I also substituted melted and cooled butter for half the oil. Prissy would sometimes add chocolate chips, too.

      Delete
  2. Awesome sunset pics! I am sure the sky looked even better in person! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sky was amazing. I just couldn't capture the light with the phone camera

      Delete
  3. I'm staying ahead of the caterpillars that want to eat my SunFlowers.... barely ... I gave the SunFlowers a drink of water the other day. The first all Summer. I think they look better for it... So many bees and butterflies... the big fuzzy yellow and black bumble bees... The little birds are now swooping in to get some seeds... Its always great fun to have my patch of SunFlowers every year.. Even hubby begrudgingly enjoys all the 'life' my 'weeds' bring to the yard.. :) Enjoy your beach day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gardens look great. And you have yellow birds coming to your feeder! I hope you were okay with yesterday's storms. I think there was a tornado in Northeast CT. - Anne (Cornucopia)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yellow birds are Goldfinches. There was a tornado on Saturday in Southeastern Massachusetts. And another the other day in New Hampshire. 😱

      Delete
  5. Your garden looks better than mine. Gosh, I need a volunteer to come help me (grin). I'm finding it harder to do anything outside because of our extreme heat warning that has been in effect for three days and will continue through Wednesday. Even the little princess wouldn't like MY heat.

    Enjoy your time away and have fun at the beach while I swelter in this exhaustive heat wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Little Princess had her own episode of heat exhaustion while working with the volunteer in the garden. The heat wouldn't have been bad if not for trying to keep up with a 30-something

      Delete
  6. We have goldfinches here, but they are extremely rare on the patio as they move through on their journey.

    Our hydrangea hasn't bloomed yet and may not given how late in the season it is. It looks healthy, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hydrangea blooms late, but not many buds this year

      Delete
  7. Sorry, I have been MIA Your arden looks great. Have a great tme at the camp! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camp had to be postponed. I hope you feel better soon.

      Delete