Monday, October 16, 2023

Happy Mail



I got some happy mail and Halloween themed to boot. From Deb in Texas. 


Some more candy skulls on the back


A dapper Skelly card that Deb made. I love his gold crown and diamond gem.


Deb also included some fun seasonal facts

 Everyone associates bats with Halloween, but by October 31 most of the little creatures have disappeared into caves to hibernate for the winter.

Horse races were the highlight of the first Oktoberfest, held in Munich to honor the 1810 marriage of Kid Ludwig I. No the day is celebrated worldwide with a feast of sausages and beer.

Some say if you catch the first falling leaf of the season, you won't catch any winter colds.

The first jack-o'-lanterns appeared in Ireland, crafted from hollowed out turnips and potatoes.

Traditionally oysters are eaten seasonally, during months that include the letter r. This actually helps oysters by not disturbing them during their summer mating period.

In China, pumpkins - the royalty of the garden - were once believed to bring good luck.

Thanks, Deb for making my week.

13 comments:

  1. I knew that about bats, but the rest was interesting and fun news for me. LOVE Deb's sugar skulls, bats, and her awesome card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew about jack-o-lanterns and oysters (I thought it was to not catch red-tide food poisoning as that is most prevalent in warm months when those months with no r's are). Fun to learn something different. Cool mail. And that diamond crown is pretty awesome. Happy new week. Stay dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love happy mail. It makes my week too.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a surprise when mail isn't junk or a bill

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I wish I knew about catching the first falling leaf.

      Delete
  5. So glad you enjoyed your card and fun October facts!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't realized how long bat hibernation season was 'til I just now googled it.

    I'm trying to use chrome instead of firefox to see if it lets me comment with a different browser.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely happy mail, and I enjoyed the facts.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, now this is some supergreat happy mail!

    ReplyDelete