Tuesday, January 23, 2024

T Stands for Christmas at the Wayside Inn - Part 2

Back to the Wayside Inn to looks at the Christmas decorations and antiques in the Inn's museum on the second floor.


Beautiful needlework bed curtains and a quilt


Christmas tree in the large function room


Decorated settle


another rustic wreath


framed cross-stitched Santa


chandelier in the main function room


Snow people for Divers and Sundry


Antique desk


Around the room memorabilia along with the history of the Inn when Henry T Ford owned the property. One story, he had started a school for boys during the Depression. One graduate from the Class of 1938 recounted how the first day he arrived, he was assigned to pick potato bugs from potato plants. He wasn't having any of that so he began walking down the Post Rd. He got a mile or so away and then thought about the foster family he would have to return to. He said he turned around and went back to the school and he was glad he did.


One surprising fact was the December 1955 fire which destroyed the 2nd floor of the Inn along with hundreds of thousand of dollars of antiques.



My drink reference, the pretty, little tea cup on the antique desk.


Celebrating 50 years of the Sudbury Garden Club decorating the Inn


The entry way from the front door


Tower of gifts. I liked the Christmas tree shadow on the wall.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

24 comments:

  1. That's too bad about the fire. I didn't know that had happened. Those antiques are gorgeous, and I do like the simplicity of the holiday decorations. I hope you have a great T day CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the fire, either. So the whole top floor of the inn is relatively "new"

      Delete
  2. Such a wonderful place to visit, the Christmas decorations are beautiful. I love that chandelier and the little house with the figures, thanks for sharing ❤️. Happy T Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the decorated chandelier was my favorite

      Delete
  3. So many different eras of furniture and decoration are represented in your photos. I like the old typewriter on the antique desk — maybe a century old. Henry Ford loved to collect antiques including entire buildings. He had many of them disassembled and rebuilt in Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI — including an entire inn similar to the one you visited. Neat photos.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what Henry did at the Inn. Bought up properties. Started a school. There's a grist mill on the property and he made the operation more efficient. The mill is still in use today and grinds the grains used in the Inn's breads

      Delete
  4. That is really a very attractive, old inn. And I love the antique desk, it would look good here, too! Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the little writing desk. I'll see if the Inn will ship it to you. 😉

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Well, you're not supposed to lose the Christmas Spirit once Christmas is over 😉

      Delete
  6. So interesting and pretty CJ. Thank you for sharing all that.. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the lovely tour. The fire! What a shame :( Even if there's money for it, some antique pieces are impossible to replace. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and I think of the memories that those pieces held

      Delete
  8. I certainly enjoyed this post. Seeing the antiques made my day. The best part was the tree made of boxes. Such a clever idea. But I also loved that old typewriter and the cute cup and saucer from that era. That blue and white oil lamp caught my eye, too. Thanks for sharing these beauties with us for T this Tuesday, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful bed curtains and I like the decorated chandelier. Happy belated T Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll have to remember the chandelier for next year for my dining room - CJ

      Delete
  10. Such a shame about the fire.

    I liked the Christmas decorations.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least they came back from some of the loss with an amazing reconstruction

      Delete