Tuesday, March 1, 2022

T Stands For March Weather Musings

 



While Calli watched with excitement the snow birds gathering at the birdfeeder, I was wondering if the weekend storm we just had would be the last of the snow for the season.

All last week on his blog, Andy did a comparison of weather apps to see which would be closest in predicting the outcome of the storm. He also said he felt this was the last storm for this Winter. 

I hope he's right, but looking out at the snow, I got a nagging feeling. Ma always said Winter wasn't over until we got past St. Patrick's Day, my father's birthday. That got me wondering why 17. March was Ma's benchmark. How many snowstorms have there been in the Boston area during the month of March?

Fortunately, the Interwebs makes finding information relatively easy. From Current Results Weather and Science Facts, I was able to compile a list of Boston snowstorms in March going back to 1896

03/16/1896  6 in.
03/15/1906  6.6 in.

04/09/1917  9.1 in.

Ma was born in 1918
Dad was born in 1919

03/07/1923  8.4 in.
03/20/1944 10.2 in. 
03/04/1955  4.2 in.

03/16 - 03/17/1956  10 in.

03/18 - 03/20/1956  13 in. This storm was flagged as one of the deadliest storms for Southern New England. 162 people were killed. Towns were paralyzed by snowdrifts as high as 14 feet

03/24/1956  12 in.
03/29 - 03/30/1956 3 in.

03/12/1959  6.4 in.
03/05/1960  5 in.
03/07/1967  9.9 in.
03/29/1970  7.3 in.
03/05/1972  6 in.

05/09/1977  5 in. Yes, you read that correctly May. The May Storm that Stunned New Englanders I was at Boston University taking a final exam and looking forward to graduation towards the end of the month. In the middle of the exam, someone said, "Hey, it's snowing!" We all jumped up and went to the window like a bunch of kindergarteners. I'm surprised Professor Bleeth didn't fail us all right then and there. I commuted to BU so after the final, I took the subway, a bus, and walked home from the downtown area of Natick where I lived with my parents. Natick is approx. 20 or so miles West of Boston. It was eerie walking home. Flowers and trees were weighed down with heavy, wet snow. There was a lilac bush in full bloom between my house and a neighbor's house. The purple lilac blossoms were bent and crowned under the snow. Beautiful, but eerie. The storm isn't listed as an official storm. Most likely, because Boston only got a half inch of snow as the location for storm totals was moved from downtown Boston to Logan Airport. I remember about 5 inches of snow from this freak Spring storm.

04/06/1982  10 in.
03/29/1984   9.1 in.
03/13/1993  12.3 in.

04/01/1997 The April Fool's Blizzard, 22.4 in.

03/22/1998  3.5 in.
03/16/2004  6.5 in.
03/13/2018  14.5 in.
03/04/2019  9.9 in.

So while I hope Andy's prediction that Winter is over is correct, I think I will stick with Ma's benchmark to get past St. Patrick's Day.

44 comments:

  1. Good morning, such an interesting post-It has snowed and froze here in Missouri in late april early may as well-and was sad to see all the blooms frozen
    mother nature does what she wants-haha Happy T Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you on 3/4 and 3/5 1960 Worcester got hammered. One of their biggest storms. (https://www.spadalawgroup.com/blog/the-past-15-years-have-been-the-snowiest-in-massachusetts-history.cfm) was born in the middle of it, and my mom always send or gave me anything relating to that storm. UGH. I certainly didn't chose to be born in a snow storm. Smile. Fun to read to stats today, and glad to see Calli back up on her paws. I am guessing she is better now. Hurrah Happy March, and let's hope we don't have any more storms this month. And happy T day too. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, Calli is back to herself, hopefully no more trips to the vet or Tufts for either of them, and no more snow.

      Delete
  3. We've had snow on Easter here before, but it's rare. We're definitely seeing spring here, though the cold weather is not over by any means. Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. St. Paddy's Day is also a benchmark for spring planting. If I remember correctly that's when you could plant your peas.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't know about that. My peas are packed in a freezer polybag. 😺

      Delete
  5. Sweet pic of Callie looking out the window:)
    Very interesting post and website you found. I have always hoped for winter and snow to be over when March came but alas, we have many years gotten some really bad snowstorms the middle of March! I remember many times we had to cancel my birthday dinner out plans because we got snowed in. Hopefully that WON'T be the case this year;) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't have to cancel your birthday plans, either.

      Delete
  6. That collection of dates is very interesting. No pattern that I can see! Here in Michigan we also can get late storms, though my memories only include one big one on April 1 (don't know the year but before 1983), no real accumulations later dates than that. The national weather service lists the heaviest Detroit snowfall ever as being 24.5" on April 6, 1886.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That much snow in April would make me cry. Actually that much snow any time would make me cry.

      Delete
  7. Such an fabulous post, we've had quite a few storms of late and even had snow with the biggest snowflakes I've ever seen! They must have been as big as a tennis ball - it was amazing 😀. Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever seen snowflakes that big. I don't think I want to! 😺

      Delete
  8. This has been one of the weirdest winters we have had in a while. Spring weather one day, Winter weather the next. :-O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, the rollercoaster ride is done

      Delete
    2. I'm truly looking forward to the warmer weather, I've had enough of this crazy weather!

      Delete
  9. back in the day when I lived in Indy; I swear there was a May when the 500 was postponed because of snow flakes
    ????

    ReplyDelete
  10. definitely some after the 17th... i'll check that app out...we aren't clear to Mother's day evidently. but today we're heading to an area that is going to be 85..not sure how well i'll take this heat already. yesterday we worked up to it a bit by being in the 70's where we were. Happy spring to you and I wish you gentle breezes and warm tropical weather but not accompanied by humidity. A nice mild warm dry heat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can remember when we lived in NY, it wasn't unusual to see snow on Mother's day. I long for Spring the older I get.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My uncle used to live in Buffalo. He would send pictures of the kids waiting for the school bus on top of the telephone booth because the snowbanks were so high!

      Delete
  12. The bench mark for outdoor planting is April 15 in Kansas. One year I put my house plants out and we had a freak storm in the middle of May. I lost EVERY household plant I owned, including my palm tree I bought and brought home from CA. I was sick and never replaced any of them again. Lot of those plants I bought when they were small and some were over two feet high when they were killed by Mother Nature. thanks for sharing these statistics with us, along with your watcher and tea for T this Tuesday, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Snow in May??? That's just sick and wrong.
    Your Calli pic is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow in May doesn't happen often, but it has happened

      Delete
  14. What an interesting post - I lived in Germany for 40 years and every year I was hoping that by March winter was over. It almost never was and there were storms and often snow in April. A few years ago there was snow in the Black Forest at the beginning of May. No thank you... - I love the picture of your cat looking out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so interesting about the snow amounts in March, April and May. I remember a big snowstorm here in Kansas in April. 18 inches! We have a photo of our toddler son standing against the sliding glass door and snow above his head! LOL But it is crazy here. Almost 80 today, 83 forecast for tomorrow. Our normal for this time of year is 53! Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful pic, horrible numbers! And a very nice ending!
    I remember we once made a snow-Easter bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such interesting research, CJ. Your Mom was smart! Around here we get about 3 snows a year and really never more than an inch or two and it rarely sticks. Love to look at it though. Actually now that I can work from home, I don't mind the snow at all. Great window picture too. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year snow coincided with Himself's days off so I didn't have to worry about him driving in the snow.

      Delete
  18. It is non stop rain here. As much as I would like the sun I will take rain over snow and freeze any day. Keep warm over there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an interesting and entertaining post! We live in southern Spain, and my birthday is at the end of March. I have had several snowy birthdays. I wonder what this year will bring.... Roll on spring!
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely to see your cat enjoying "cat TV" lol We have had snow here in April before and surprise frost quite late on in the year, which of course, plays havoc with planting lol. Happy belated T Day Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all the snow is making Himself antsy to start planting

      Delete
  21. Wow! Reading about the depth of those snowfalls really make me appreciate that the cold weather we get here is nothing!! As you can see I am on a massive catch up!! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately it seems, our storms are getting more severe. Where we used to measure snow in inches, we now measure it in feet.

      Delete