Thursday, March 11, 2021

When You Try to Explain a Joke

 

There seems to have been some confusion about the Wordy Wednesday joke. Many took the joke literally and wondered why a box company wouldn't want the cardboard broken down to be recycled.

There is another meaning to Break Down referring to a person's health. "Losing control of one's emotions while in a state of distress." A nervous break down.

So the Box is telling someone, "Do Not Break Down" (don't cry, don't rant and rave, don't lose your cool) and the reply, "I'm trying, Box, I'm trying.

Clear?

22 comments:

  1. I got it. It made me smile again today. I think it takes a certain sense of humor sometimes to get certain jokes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should put a disclaimer that one needs a warped sense of humor like mine to get the jokes 😚

      Delete
  2. What does it say about me that I got that one right away? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I got the joke......but I'm still confused as to why the box company is against recycling....lol. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn’t say don’t recycle. It’s not necessary to cut the box into smaller pieces. Don’t break down. ðŸĪŠ

      Delete
  4. Hope your day is productive and pleasant;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, got some stuff done that I've been procrastinating.

      Delete
  5. I admit that I did not get it right away, it took me a few seconds to figure it out! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, CJ. I didn't get it at all. Not even a hint of what it was intended to mean. Shows how dense and literal I am at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. I think maybe it would've been a little easier to get if the wording were reversed. Do Not Break Down followed by I'm trying, Box, I'm trying.

      Delete
  7. Such fun, this really made me smile! I think a lot of people are feeling like this at the moment though 😁. Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe other parts of the world aren't familiar with that expression, so that's why they didn't get it. (I got the joke.)

    ReplyDelete