Saturday, March 6, 2021

Saturday Morning at the Library

When I was 5 years old, I was forced to take dancing lessons while the Brother was forced to take accordion lessons. I hated dancing class. The Knights of Columbus Hall where the classes were given had no heat or it wasn't turned on. I hated wearing the pink beginner tights. I liked clacking around in the tap shoes, but Ma wouldn't let me practice inside the house on the wood floors. I spent most of my time in class being miserable and crying. Eventually, I was taken out of class.

While the Brother still had to endure accordion lessons, Dad took me to the library. He would leave me upstairs in the children's library where I could look at the books and choose to take some books home with my own library card. As I got older, I would go downstairs to the adult library and wander among the stacks enjoying the scent of the books before going to find Dad in the reference area consulting the law books and catching up on his work.

So for the next several weeks, a list of my favorite books, some I have read as a child, others as an adult and some  I have read more than once.

plate from The Works of William Shakespeare
Avon Edition
Funk and Wagnalls Co.

A Midsummer Night's Dream
by William Shakespeare

ACT I
SCENE I. Athens. The palace of THESEUS.
Enter THESEUS, HIPPOLYTA, PHILOSTRATE, and Attendants

THESEUS
Now, fair Hippolyta, our nuptial hour
Draws on apace; four happy days bring in
Another moon: but, O, methinks, how slow
This old moon wanes! she lingers my desires,
Like to a step-dame or a dowager
Long withering out a young man revenue.

HIPPOLYTA
Four days will quickly steep themselves in night;
Four nights will quickly dream away the time;
And then the moon, like to a silver bow
New-bent in heaven, shall behold the night
Of our solemnities.

THESEUS
Go, Philostrate,
Stir up the Athenian youth to merriments;
Awake the pert and nimble spirit of mirth;
Turn melancholy forth to funerals;
The pale companion is not for our pomp.
Exit PHILOSTRATE

Hippolyta, I woo'd thee with my sword,
And won thy love, doing thee injuries;
But I will wed thee in another key,
With pomp, with triumph and with revelling.
Enter EGEUS, HERMIA, LYSANDER, and DEMETRIUS

EGEUS
Happy be Theseus, our renowned duke!

THESEUS
Thanks, good Egeus: what's the news with thee?

You can find this play and others at your public library or read it for free at Project Gutenberg

22 comments:

  1. The library was always my very favourite place as a child! Have a great weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first learned how to read, Ma would tell me that books were friends so the library was filled with all my friends.

      Delete
  2. It was the times. All little girls were supposed to be like Shirley Temple. I don't think it was my will. I think the dancing teacher told my parents to take me out of class. I'm glad she did

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read this ages ago and remember the general story. It is one of the Bard's "lighter" and more joyful ones I believe. But it's been so long I may be wrong about that. Happy weekend. Enjoy the sun but stay warm. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. This one ends happily every after and no dead bodies on the stage

      Delete
  4. My father told us books were magic flying carpets that would take us anywhere we wanted to go! He was so right! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I ever read this one.

    And in answer to your question on my blog: I haven't tried a spray can sealer for my decoupage projects. But that might be something for me to try using, if / when I try to decoupage some eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes, I forget to think of these as books to read (tho I've read several) instead of plays to watch. Nice choice. Fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like seeing them performed on stage, but I have enjoyed reading them, too.

      Delete
  7. I do enjoy visiting libraries.
    Shakespeare was included in our school reading list ... a few years ago now!!!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad you were forced to do something you didn´t enjoy. I can relate, piano lessons were nothing I enjoyed. Only practiced one hour before the lesson, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favourite Shakespeare plays, I'm a bit bias though as I studied this at school 😁. I hope you had a lovely weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been a fan of Shakespeare, probably because I was never forced to read his works in school. I love libraries, though. I am waiting for the day ours reopen and return to normal business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading the plays is okay, but to really appreciate the poetry, jokes, you need to see the plays performed.

      Delete
  11. I have never read this, but I know of it!

    ReplyDelete