Saturday, March 12, 2022

Saturday Mornings at the Library

 

When I was 5 years old, I was forced to take dancing lessons while the Brother was forced to take accordion lessons. I hated dancing class. The Knights of Columbus Hall where the classes were given had no heat or it wasn't turned on. I hated wearing the pink beginner tights. I liked clacking around in the tap shoes, but Ma wouldn't let me practice inside the house on the wood floors. I spent most of my time in class being miserable and crying. Eventually, I was taken out of class.

While the Brother still had to endure accordion lessons, Dad took me to the library. He would leave me upstairs in the children's library where I could look at the books and choose to take some books home with my own library card. As I got older, I would go downstairs to the adult library and wander among the stacks enjoying the scent of the books before going to find Dad in the reference area consulting the law books and catching up on his work.

So for the next several weeks, a list of my favorite books, some I have read as a child, others as an adult and some  I have read more than once.

This week, The Thornbirds by Colleen McCollough. Set in the Australian Outback, a story about passion, ambition, secrets, and forbidden love.

If you haven't read this book, you can find it at your library or favorite bookstore.


16 comments:

  1. I reread this last year. It is a really good story, isn't it? Just noticed the Calli and Quill photo with the sunflower, Very cute. Hope you are dry and get no snow today. We're in for a mixed bag here. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this back when it first came out. The girls where I worked were all reading it. I think it was the first romance I read. I really loved the mini-series with Richard Chamberlain, too. Nothing but fog here so far. I don't think we'll be let off so easily

      Delete
  2. I remember the mini series....and how creepy it was whe Barbara Stanwyck made a pass at/declared her love for Chamberlain...... 😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😉That wasn't really out of character for Missy. She liked young men. Supposedly had affairs with Robert Wagner and Lee Majors from The Big Valley

      Delete
  3. This was all the rage back in the day, and I liked it, too, as well as the series. Have a great weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this being a movie on television when I was in teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the mini series on TV, which I enjoyed.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't beat Richard 😻Chamberlain as the King of the Mini-Series

      Delete
  6. I've heard of this, but never read the book or saw the movie. I should look for it either online or at my library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember this book. Engrossing read; I couldn't put it down. And I loved the mini-series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard Chamberlain was so dreamy as Father Ralph 😻

      Delete
  8. I loved that book. Haven't thought of it in ages.

    ReplyDelete