Thursday, May 5, 2022

Rainbow Burst with 5 to 7 Year Olds

 

After I returned home from teaching Flying High, the fish kites I taught to 5-7 year olds at the Worcester Art Museum, I received this plea in the afternoon:

Any chance you want to come back tomorrow morning, 10am to 12noon, and teach “Rainbow Burst”?
Painting with a focus on color – you know 5 year olds and paint – like anything goes๐Ÿ˜Š

So I replied: Sure. Why not? What could possibly go wrong? ๐Ÿ˜€

The lesson plan I was sent involved having the students mix acrylic paints and using glazing medium. 5 year olds? I don't think so. 

A few hours after pulling a lesson out of my as hat, I gathered my supplies. Since I didn't know what was in the supply closet, I brought some paper plates. The kids could trace a circle and with watercolors and using primary colors, we would paint a color wheel.

I had a tear drop prism necklace and Himself gave me a flashlight so the kids could take turns and make rainbows on the wall.

All my materials were packed into the rainbow pencil tote bag Tiggy had made for me.

A trip to the supply closet before class for the watercolor paints, brushes, pencils, paper and paper to cut down for the kids to paint and then would be made into a tube hat, like a chef's toque.

Another instructor was in the closet gathering her materials. She was like you don't normally teach kid classes, what's up. So I told her about subbing. She asked what I was doing and then suggested after the kids traced their circle and divided it into pie slices for painting, to have them go over the pencil lines with crayon. The crayon would act as a resist and the watercolor wouldn't run together. Brilliant!

A trip into the gallery to see Art in the 20th Century. One little boy was nervous and shy about leaving his mother. She was going to wait with him in the lobby until the class returned. I asked him if he wouldn't like to go into the museum to see the paintings. He nodded that he would so I asked everyone to line up behind T.

"and Lizard", he said, holding up a green, stuffed lizard.

"Everyone! Please line up behind T and Lizard!" and we marched into the museum.

We looked at Andy Warhol's soup can, works by Ellsworth Kelly, and Jackson Pollack before going back to the studio.

The aid and I were so busy in class, I didn't get any pictures of the kidlets artwork.

They knew their colors, knew what primary colors were, and knew primary colors made secondary colors. We had to keep reminding them to swish their brush in water before dipping into another color.

In the middle of mixing orange using red and yellow, one tiny, adorable girl wailed: This is not a lovely shade of orange! Sometimes it's so hard to keep a straight face at what comes out of their tiny mouths.

 She had forgotten to swish her brush and the colors in her palette were muddied. A paper towel to the rescue to wipe the muddy yellow paint and to blot the not lovely shade of orange on her paper. She mixed the colors again and joy and rapture! Whew!

While they were busy painting their hats, I had them take turns shining the light through the prism to make rainbows on the wall. That activity was a big hit. 

Some of the kids were thrilled with wearing their hats. The older ones didn't want to. No worries. So another successful class. I make a helluva Kindergartener.

22 comments:

  1. I'm glad you used watercolors as that would be a mess. And why did the lesson plans say glaze, which slows down the drying time? You've been very busy I see CJ. Enjoy this gorgeous day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the lesson plans were thought out by someone who has never taught children before. Possibly they taught teens and though the lessons would be interchangeable for all age groups.

      Delete
  2. I love hearing how you adapt the plans :) It's a joy to see people being so enthusiastic about art. I wish so many didn't lose that as they get older

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to happen around 7 yrs of age. We start comparing ourselves to others and the Inner Critic takes over: I'm not good, I can't

      Delete
  3. Kindergarten is the BEST age to teach! (well, actually it's more like herding cats....but it's fun/funny!) In another life that's what my degree was for....but as Lennon said, "Life is what happens when you're making other plans."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the kindergarteners at the museum were the easiest age group to work with.

      Delete
  4. There's a big difference i think between 5 and 7 yrs old too.. You go girl! Your doing a fabulous job!! Did you have fun? Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was fun to see the kids having fun especially playing with the prism

      Delete
  5. I ....would have enjoyed this class !!! :) let me know if you sub again and when, I'll sit in the back so as not to be too conspicuous ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can be an aid and can help to herd the cats, er....kids ๐Ÿ˜ธ

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a fun class, for you and for the kids! Gut gemacht! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always loved doing that. I hated muddied papers, couldn't fix them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little worried that the little girl wouldn't be happy, but everything worked out

      Delete
  8. What A Delightful Post - You Just Made My Day - Tell Himself That I Said CJ Totally Rocks - Big Hugs

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, first off, what a great idea with the prism...fun post to read. I don't know what I would have done. The first thought came to me when i thought how would i have taught the class on the spur of the moment. I saw in image of a pot of popcorn being cooked and popped and all the while the lid was off and popcorn was flying all over the place. Then I would have said,, hey color the popcorn and string them to make a bracelet and then clean up the floor when you are all done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd have to cut the class short by an hour so you would have time to clean up.

      Delete
  10. For having so little time to prepare, you did a fabulous job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think my comment published. I normally get the notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason Blogger is sending some comments to Spam

      Delete
    2. Your comment was in my spam folder

      Delete