Tuesday, May 10, 2022

T Stands For Teaching Assistants' Thank You Dinner Leftovers

 

End of the quarter for Himself's WPI students. Seven weeks goes by quickly. Himself wanted to take his teaching assistants out to lunch as a thank you for all the work they do for him during the lab class.

Scheduling was a bit difficult as the Sunday he wanted to meet for lunch, the two TAs were going home to celebrate Orthodox Easter with their families. They coordinated schedules and settled on a Wednesday night dinner instead. Once again, I got to tag along though my roll was more as chaperone. Both teaching assistants are young women and Himself thought it wouldn't be right for an old dude to ask young women out to dinner.

We decided to go to Leo's Ristorante in Worcester, an old Italian restaurant and easy for the students to get to as it's not too far from the school.

Leo's is a favorite restaurant of ours. We hadn't been there in ages so I was looking forward to going. Leo or his descendants must have originated in the same province of Italy as my family as the food tastes very similar to what I was used to eating growing up. I was hoping to have my favorite dish, Linguine a la Vongola  but the dish wasn't on the menu. Most likely because clams are out of season.

We ordered Leo's special antipasto for the table. I had ravioli with sausage with  a glass of Zinfandel. Himself had veal piccata. We also had tiramisu for dessert. We were so busy enjoying the company of our guests that I didn't take pictures. Besides a thank you dinner, it was also a celebration as one of the young women had just landed a job as a chemical engineer with a company close to Boston. She'll be graduating from WPI later this month.

Since I didn't take pictures of the meal, you get to see my plate of leftovers along with a can of Polar Seltzer water. Polar is a local Worcester soft drink company.

Though we enjoyed our meals, Himself and I both agreed that Leo's wasn't as good as it used to be. The ravioli pasta wasn't as thin and melt in your mouth as what Ma used to make. I think the ravioli I make were better, too. But it was an enjoyable evening and no cooking for me. So win win.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth’s blog to find out what the rest of the T gang is up to. If you want to play, include a beverage or beverage container in your post. Don’t forget to link your blog from Bleubeard and Elizabeth’s page.

45 comments:

  1. Good that you enjoyed the company. Sad that the quality was as good, though. But a nice idea to invite to dinner to say thank you - happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The restaurant has been around for a very long time. Maybe it was sold. The dining experience was good, but just not the same

      Delete
  2. Good morning, sounds like a really nice meal out, and that is very special your husband takes them out for dinner. congrats for the one graduating and getting a job already. Happy T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teaching assistants do a lot of work for Himself so they deserve a reward.

      Delete
  3. Where exactly is Leo's? I don't know this one. There used to be (or maybe still is) a yummy Italian restaurant out by the White City Bradley's, well on the Worcester side of the lake and up by the old State hospital area. I can't think of it's name at the moment. Your meal looks really yummy. Everyone's T day post seems to be making me hungry this week. Have a great T day CJ. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winner winner, ravioli dinner.....or something like that.... :-/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear your meal wasn't up to snuff.. but you enjoyed it anyway, especially with great company! Gosh i haven't had GOOD Italian food in forever!! Oh we have Olive Garden... but i never get their tomato sauce as its just not good to me.. What can i say.. i'm a picky 30% Italian...lol Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm Italian. One of my cousins calls Olive Garden the McDonald's of Italian food. McOlive. 😸

      Delete
  6. The professor who I was a TA in grad school used to take me to lunch in the student union every year. They were the only times I ever went to the student union to eat. I went to a couple of lectures there, but the restaurant was way, way too pricey to eat there. I don't know how the students who didn't live on campus could afford the cost.

    Sounds like the company was more enjoyable than the food. Those ravioli did look a bit thick. Your Polar Seltzer looks good at least. And, you didn't have to cook for two meals, either. Thanks for sharing your experience and your seltzer with us for T this Tuesday, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did typing for a professor. He took me to lunch in the faculty dining room. Real plates, flatware, linen table cloths, napkins, way out of my student price range

      Delete
    2. At my student union, everything was ala carte. Small portions and everything had its own price to it. Growing teens (18-20) would have to get at least two portions of anything they wanted.

      Delete
  7. It looks good. Sometimes I keep going to local restaurants to support the locals even when the quality slips. There's usually a "best" dish they're known for, and I have that. We have a strong Italian American community here in Memphis and several dining options. I may never get back into restaurant dining at this rate though :( Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take-out on your patio sounds like a good option, too

      Delete
  8. Sorry that Leo's has lost its touch. Still, you had a good meal and no cooking, that's alwsays worthwhile! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice way to say thank you !!! since turning veggie tarian; I truly miss my Italian meals...."veggie lasagna" just dont cut it ~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, that ravioli looks so delicious! It's one of my favourites along with Linguine Frutti Di Mare or Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni - yum 😁. I'm so hungry now ...lol! Glad you had such a lovely meal - Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice occasion. The young women were so interesting and fun to be with.

      Delete
  11. Those old time Italian restaurants in every big city and many smaller ones were really special. If yours actually waits for clams in season, that's already a big plus -- no canned clams!

    Olive Garden supposedly researched the best and most loved dishes throughout the country and ruined them (I mean put them on their menu).

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clam presentation was so pretty with clams in the shells like a crown on the linguine

      Delete
  12. Nice that you had good company but shame that the food wasn't as good as before. I do love some tiramisu though Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed the company and the tiramisu was very good.

      Delete
  13. Glad you had an enjoyable evening, even if the food wasn't quite as good as it could have been. And good on himself for taking you along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, I was the chaperone because and old dude with 2 young women would have been skeevy 😸

      Delete
  14. Sounds like a lovely outing and it is important to celebrate the ends and the beginnings! The food looks yum! No cooking is one of my fave treats these days. TFS. Happy T- day and hugz, CJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad the young woman was willing to share the news of her new beginnings with strangers.

      Delete
  15. Sorry to read the meal wasn't up to par. However, so nice to get out and you didn't have to cook or do dishes. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any outing and no cooking or dishes is a big plus

      Delete
  16. I always enjoy reading people who have a social life outside of the house, lol. I use to before becoming a mountain mama. Good thinking on the part of your husband to have you along. Really good! Sounds enjoyable and delicious and i find the same thing once in awhile when i go out and actually get an entree - usually it's only appetizers these days and has been for years. Oh the money we spent in the past taking our kids and their loved ones out to dinner and M always picking up the check...yikes. Such a nice thing your guy does taking his assistants out for a meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do a lot of work for him and they deserve a reward

      Delete
  17. It's always disappointing when a meal is not as good as you remembered, especially when paying. But it still looks yummy as a leftover.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  18. We love Italian food at our house! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a treat for the TAs, but a shame that Leo's isn't what it was- always sad when that happens. Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete