Thursday, September 29, 2022

Nubble Light - York, Maine



On the way home, we  stopped in York again to visit one of the most iconic images of Maine. Cape Neddick Light Station better known at Nubble Light. The lighthouse is still a working lighthouse, but the light and horn has been automated and maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard. 

The lighthouse and property of Sohier Park is owned and maintained by the town of York.

We had tried to stop on our way up, but as it was a Sunday the place was crowded and there was no parking.


This was another nostalgic spot in York for me. One year, Mary's parents had rented a small cottage up the road. In the evenings, Mary and I would walk down to the light house to sit on the rocks and to talk. I remembered a restaurant Mary and I ate at one time. Fox's Lobster House. The restaurant is still there, and so packed Teague and I couldn't find a parking space on the way up.

Teague spent Summer vacations with her family when she was a kid. A family photo of them taken on the rocks makes Nubble Light special for her.



Teague and CJ

Teague was trying to take a picture of the two us. Another visitor kindly offered to take a picture of us.


There's a gift shop as well as a comfort station. When I travel I like to buy a Christmas ornament or souvenir that I can hang on the Christmas tree. 

I also purchased


because the tin amused me.

18 comments:

  1. So good to 'SEE' you CJ! Hubby and i discussed.. that neither of us have ever been to a lighthouse.. Came close in CA but didn't make it there.. Love seeing your photos and Lobster poop make me smile :) Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poop tin made me laugh. They had seagull poop, too, but those were peppermint and not a flavor I really like. Unless it's Girl Scout Thin Mints or York Peppermint Patties

      Delete
  2. It is great to see the photo of the 2 of you CJ. It's a good one. Like you I have fond memories of Nubble Light. My first 2 years teaching in Portsmouth I had a winter rental down by where the road to the lighthouse branches off the shore road. I used to go up there often too. And when Halley's comet came back in 1986, some of us went there with a telescope to see it. Thanks so much for sharing this fun post. You definitely had a super trip to the beach I think. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this post, CJ! It looks like you both had a wonderful time! The photos are awesome and I really enjoyed the pic of the two of you!!

    My sister Aurora and her hubby love visiting Maine and she particularly likes lighthouses. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known Teague since we were in Jr. high so we always have a blast on our travels.

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos of the sea, sky and lighthouse. Glad you two girls had a good time, you look so happy. But Lobster poop?! Hmmmm! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lobster poop is certainly a conversation starter

      Delete
  5. Great photos. The eastern coast is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been to a few lighthouses but none that far north. Cool! You got such good photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is great to see all of your lovely photographs

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was wonderful to "meet" you, CJ. I've never seen a lighthouse or even been close to where one would be. Loved the ornament and laughed at the poop tin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poop tins were funny. Besides the lobster poop they also had seagull poop 😸

      Delete