Saturday, September 17, 2022

Fun Facts About the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

 
Johnny Appleseed U.S. postage stamp; photo by Ben Hutchison on Flickr (noncommercial use permitted with attribution / share alike).


The state folk hero is John Chapman (1774 - 1845) better known as Johnny Appleseed. He was born in Leominster, Massachusetts. 

As children we heard the story that Johnny Appleseed wandered across New England to the Ohio River Valley scattering apple seeds as he went along. What we weren't told was that Mr. Chapman planted orchards by trade and was not a homeless person aimlessly wandering around tossing apple seeds. 

10 comments:

  1. Gee, I guess I got the more accurate version. I was taught that was his 'job'...to plant orchards. (And I always thought it was a weird job 'traveling orchard planter'.....where was THAT table on Job Fair day????? 🤣🤣🤣)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That table was probably in the far back corner next to the artist's table 😆

      Delete
  2. The bits that are left out are always interesting! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot he was from Leominster. And I remember that stamp from my days as a kid collecting them off the mail. Hope you had a nice autumn like Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying the Summer-like weather of Sunday better. 😸

      Delete
  4. Seriously. Your state Rules. I mean you'd think TN would have an official folk hero, but noooo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I learned something new. I'm so glad you set the record straight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know he was a gardener/landscaper either

      Delete