Monday, September 19, 2022

Ogunquit Beach, Maine

The best part of Camp Ogunquit  was going to the beach.


Check-in at the motel was late in the afternoon so we visited the beach after walking into town to grab a bite to eat. The orange light to the left of the picture is one of the lighthouses.


At night, the waves looked more like snow. The first night, the water was 69 oF. Quite warm for the Atlantic waters off the coast of Maine.


We had great beach weather. Teague has stayed in Ogunquit in late August before and was surprised how crowded the beach was. We figured it must have had to do with people not able to travel as freely during the pandemic.


Teague catching waves on her boogie board.


The waves on the beach looked like lace


I found a shell and one that looked like a shark 


Our first beach day, the tide was coming in. We were wondering if we would have to move. The water got very close to the umbrella, but Teague commanded the water not to come any closer. And it didn't


I'm ready for my close up.


Nope, changed my mind.


Seagulls congregated on the roof of the Norseman Resort. (Next time, we'll try to stay here)

 It looked just like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. The seagulls were just as bold. Our second day on the beach, a seagull swooped in and grabbed part of sandwich from a lady's hand! Another gull followed and grabbed someone's snack sized bag of chips!


A small crab just floating with the tide. Maybe it was dead.


At night, the beach was pretty much deserted. We waded in the water and then sat  on the beach and talked, and talked, and talked. We found some constellations. Cassiopeia and the Great Square of Pegasus


Teague had an app on her phone that helped identify objects in the sky. This bright light was the planet Jupiter, but my iPhone camera didn't capture it very well.


Day 2. We parked ourselves a little further back so we wouldn't have to worry about the incoming tide.


My little friend was back


A storm was coming in. It was windy on the beach and the water was cold.


I took a selfie


It was perfect weather for sailing


Sailgulls on the water


Clouds that looked like a goose, duck, and a fish.


This was our home, The Aspinquid, a sister property to The Norseman. This was a nice central location. In the distance, you can see the beach. Probably 1/4 mile distance to walk. We drove to the beach and parked in the lot. $30 to park all day or $5 per hour). Behind me up the street was the center of town for dining and shopping.

We had a great time, and I hope we can do it again next year.


13 comments:

  1. Ohhh, wonderful pics!!!
    And the seagull changing her mind, LOL.
    Oh, it sounds sooooo wonderful! I remember nights at the beach in Cancun and Jamaica, Cuba (wow, this sounds snobby, does it? But... we have no kids, so... is that an excuse?)

    Great selfie, the kind I like!

    I can bite my butt we didn´t go this year - Germany was hot! But most came home with COVID, so we backed off. Dumb in the aftermath!
    95% chance we go to Berlin on Thursday - we could´ve gone to the beach at the North- or East-sea also!

    Nice to see your pics, thank you for the smiles :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not snobby. If I had the opportunity to go to the islands, I would. Kids or no

      Delete
  2. Its been too long since i've been to the beach. I like an empty beach too and would have been there at night too.. We usually go to Destin Beach , Fl.. I like going in the Fall and even Winter when the beaches are all but deserted.. I could walk for miles..Glad you had such a good time.. Good to get away with a girlfriend.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of summers at the Cape. Same architecture, same seagulls, same freezing water! 🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beach water at the Cape is more like tub water compared to the beaches of Maine 😺

      Delete
  4. I think you had a wonderful trip to Ogunquit. And I think people are just getting out after 2 years of not getting out. Nice photo of the lighthouse and that orange light. It looks really surreal, like you put the orange light into the photo digitally. But I know you didn't. Glad you had some fun beach time and you shared these with us, especially on this wet and dark Monday. Have a great start to the new week. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No photo touch up. The orange light was just the way the iPhone camera captured the shot

      Delete
  5. That looks like nice, relaxing days at the beach. I'm afraid the water temperature would still have been too cold for me, I like it (almost) like a bathtub warm ;-DD But walking on the beach and looking for shells is also nice after all.
    All the best,
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/09/ausflug-nach-marchegg-schloss-storche.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much for swimming. I like to wade in the water, walk along the beach, and look for shells.

      Delete
  6. Oh, how nice to be at the beach! Looks like you girls had a great time. Gulls are always very cheeky! Love your selfie! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure how I missed this, but am glad I hit older post. I had to laugh at the cloud shapes you found. I know others can do that, too, but that has always alluded me.

    Oh those birds on the motel roof. Just amazing fun and lots of birds, water, and wonderful photos of the night time sky. Just a great post and beautiful photos.

    BTW, Autumn + Art always puts out a map and beautiful brochure every year. They also choose a featured artist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful area. Sounds so nice.

    ReplyDelete