Thursday, September 15, 2022

Long Sands Beach - York, Maine

On the way up to Ogunquit, Teague decided to get off the highway and to travel the Shore Road through York Beach. Back in the early 1980s when Teague had moved out to California, a friend I worked with at the hospital and I used to go every weekend during the Summer to York.


We stayed at the Anchorage Motel. A two story 1950s, 1960s cheap hotel. I don't think we paid more than $25 per night. Not anymore! 42 years later, the motel is now The Anchorage Inn. Rooms are over $300 per night!


Mary and I would run across the street to eat at a little clam shack on the beach. The little clam shack is now a big restaurant. The cars next to the curb are parked for a day at the beach.


Across from the Anchorage is Long Sands Beach. Mary and I never had a problem finding a parking spot. And if by chance all the street parking was gone, the Anchorage let people park on their lawn for $5 for the day! Not any more.

It doesn't look like it but Long Sands was packed with people. There was hardly any space to lay out a towel. I don't ever remember Long Sands being that busy. How times have changed.

18 comments:

  1. Nothing ever stays the same.... I usually try to avoid going back to anything i remember in childhood.. its usually a disappointment.. best to just remember it the way it was.. I haven't explored my East coast upbringing in more than 20 yrs.. I can't imagine how it must have changed.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't disappointed. Mostly stunned that an area that had been, depressed, was so upscale.

      Delete
  2. How These Times Have Changed - And Just Think, Some Days Those Current Folks Will Be Documenting How They Only Paid $300 A Night Compared To The New World Order Of $750 A Night - Memories My Friend - Good Ol Memories

    Big Hugs
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Yet incomes don't go up. It's depressing in a whole 'nother way :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, times and prices have changed enormously! Have a great day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a winter rental just down the street for a couple of years in my twenties. But sadly, no summer beach time. These are fun to see and it was fun to read about your “wild” days at Long Sands hugs Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, wild days of being slathered with baby oil to. Turning our chairs into the sun every hour. And then wild nights at the Goldenrod watching the taffy machine. 😚

      Delete
  6. Wow, the price has increased "a little"!
    So sad to come back to a great place and find it so commercialized.
    Happened to us as well.
    One silently says good-bye...

    But I don´t wanna start the day being sad, so - let´s remember the good ole days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I KNOW times have changed and prices have increased, but going from low key to upscale, means it's a bit like sticker shock. I hope you didn't spend the night at that motel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we didn't stay there, but I'd like to some day

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you have wonderful memories of the beach and motel! When we visited our friends quite a few years ago now we thought everything was a lot more expensive than we remembered 😊. Take care and thanks for sharing! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete