Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Whatcha Doin?

Today, I am answering a question. Last week,  Jinxxxygirl from Learning to Just Breathe asked:

You know every single time I travel I bring art supplies... just a sketchbook , colored pencils maybe but I have yet to ever do anything in it while on a trip.. If i were to take a trip again i would probably still bring it though.. silly.. How do you decide what to bring on a trip ?


Back in 2019, I was part of an exchange and I was partnered with longtime friend and colleague from Langley, British Columbia, Canada. Langley sent me a pencil case (it's really a cosmetic bag) to keep things tidy when taking a workshop. Besides workshops, it's perfect as a tote when traveling. Let's unzip the bag and see what's inside.


The items I like to take with me are, 

* a couple of envelope, ruling guides which also double as a straight edge
* some journaling stencils because they have fun shapes
* a 5.5 in. x 8 in. journal. This is a Strathmore Visual Watercolor Journal.
* a kneadable eraser
* water brush
* extra leads for my blue mechanical pencil
* 20 or so Prismacolor watercolor pencils since they can be used as regular colored pencils or add water for a watercolor effect. There are also a couple of other watercolor pencils (I like the colors) as well as a gold and silver metallic pencils. The watercolor pencils are corralled in a quart size zip bag
*a travel size lead-pointer for the mechanical pencil (blue thing to the right of the blue mechanical pencil)
*Sakura Gelly Roll pens in gold and white
*small scissors
*gluestick
*some black, permanent, waterproof, fine line markers. This brand is from Staedtler Mars because they came in a handy, plastic case
* blue magnifying visor (This doesn't fit into the bag which is probably why I forgot it)

It's tempting to take lots of stuff, but I find these are the items I use most. Most of the items just live in the bag in the supply closet until it's time to grab and go. 

When you travel, what art supplies do you take? 

20 comments:

  1. When I was in the clinic I took a whole case of stuff, I didn't want to miss any of my fave things! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingo got me such an e-book for sketching, sadly my PC is too old. And I find it odd to sketch on a pad.
    Sadly he never asks me beforehand if I even want the stuff!

    Other I´m still to new to really take art supplies with me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all start out that way. Not knowing what we should take. If you're interested start small. A pad of paper, pencil, and gummi

      Delete
    2. Then you can see if you'd like to do other stuff to add color

      Delete
  3. I overpack....clothes, art goodies and then don't use half of what I've packed! LOL 🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking i need to bring more stuff...lol Thanks for the shout out and answering my question CJ! Now that i think about it more... I've spent alot of time at hospitals over the years with hubby... And i have a tote bag that i will just pack FULL of things to keep me busy in the waiting room.. Everything from a book to read to drawing material etc.. Apparently i pack better for a hospital waiting room than i do for a pleasure trip...lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pack your bag for the hospital and use the same bag when you travel for pleasure

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of an artist's carryall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like packing stuff for a trip with toddlers 😺

      Delete
  6. It's hard to decide what to bring. (I definitely work better at home). I have a little mini suitcase (3x5) that I take whatever I can fit in. Or I take a pencil case, or as on the trip I just came home from-4 pens and my daily journal. We have a super organized cosmetic bag. That is a great idea your friend had. Hope you're enjoying this day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The afternoon was too nice to work so I just hung out in the sunroom

      Delete
  7. that's very helpful. I like the list. I, too, would bring things to sketch with whenever and rarely ever did it. The only thing I did one time was a sketch of a dog of a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started working in the sketchbook, but then got caught up in being in the moment. I made notes each night about what we did during the day. I'll work off the notes.

      Delete
  8. I'm a mixed media artist and am more into scissors and glue, as well as images from magazines, calendars, etc... You have a great go kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it works especially if it doesn't get used on a trip. At least I didn't pack the whole studio

      Delete
  9. Not being "in" with the in crowd (and now that Mamas and Papas song is playing in my head) I never take art supplies on trips. But I no longer go on trips... Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete