Tuesday, November 8, 2022

T Stands for Old York Museum



On the way home from Camp Ogunquit, we stopped to visit the Old York Museum


A beautiful secretary


A chest of drawers and one of the many drink references in the post. On the chest, are a tankard and a teapot. Hopefully, you can embiggen the images to read the historical bits



The Empress of the Seas, a clipper ship built by Donald McKay of East Boston.







Gorgeous crewel work bed hanging


Mile stone from the Boston Post Road. The stone indicates that Boston was 81 miles from York and that Portsmouth was 11 7/8 miles away.




I just love the Winged Death and the acanthus leaves borders



A posnet and a teapot




 A Kitchen Dresser. How many teapots and pitchers do you see? I counted 4 pitchers and 3 teapots



In the tavern, Teague bellies up to the bar

"Mulled wine, heavy on the cinnamon and light on the cloves. Off with you, me lad, and be lively!” 

Can anyone guess where that drinks reference comes from?


A little brown jug


It was really warm the day we visited so there was no need for a fire in the fireplace.


and too hot for the baked beans in the oven.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

32 comments:

  1. Wow, what a wonderful museum! I enjoyed exploring with you 😊. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, thank you so much for taking us to the museum I always wanted a cooking hearth like that one
    Happy T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Museums vary so much, and mostly they are wonderful. This is totally different from the museum I visited this weekend (The Detroit Inst. of Arts), and both are great.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many museums art, historical, curiosity, and they cater to so many different tastes. Something for everyone

      Delete
  4. This is a wonderful museum, love all the furniture and crockery. The quote is from 'It's a wonderful life'. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quote is from It's a Wonderful Life......said by Clarence (the AS2: angel second class) to Nick (Sheldon Leonard) the barkeep in Martini's bar. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a fabulous place. I love historical museums. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm.. could the reference be Treasure Island? A part of me loves the idea of bed hangings... although mine might be lace.. somehow makes the bed more secreted and cozy.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a great time-warp!!!
    Very interesting, thank you and a happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun to step back in time? Though I'm very grateful for indoor plumbing and central heating and air conditioning 😺

      Delete
  9. Beautiful furniture, it's amazing sometimes how things have been preserved all that time. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to the efforts of the volunteers at the historical society

      Delete
  10. It's a Wonderful Life... at least when you're in a tavern like this! My favorite was the account and recipe book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I lived in York for 2 years and drove by the museum almost every day. But never once did I visit it. It looks great. That secretary chest is amazing. Hope you stayed warm today. It felt really cold here, even if the thermometer was in the 40's. I swear it was about 32 degrees F. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The museum doesn't look like it gets a lot of foot traffic. The docent gave us a private tour. We ran some errands around noon and it didn't feel that cold, but after a late lunch I was freezing with just my sweater on.

      Delete
  12. What a great looking museum. Love the look back at times gone by. I have a secretary similar to that one in my guest bedroom. It has been in my husband's family for years. It even has a secret compartment I just discovered a few months ago. My favorite was the log book too. Lovely share, CJ. Hugz and happy T-day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been trying to leave you a comment for HOURS. I finally got desperate and decided to e-mail you this since I keep getting a "Failed to Publish" message. Here's the comment I tried to leave:

    The secretary and chest of drawers are lovely. Very fancy and detailed, too.

    I actually laughed when I saw the Winged Death. Now I know where Munch got his model for The Scream.

    That crewel work is quite stunning. I also counted 4 pitchers and 3 teapots in the kitchen dresser, but had to look since some were small. Unlike that huge saw blade.

    Thanks for sharing this plethora of teapots, tankers, pitchers, and other items you found in this really amazing old museum with us for T this Tuessday.

    _______________________________

    Just wanted you to know I tried. - Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous museum! I loved seeing the accounts book with the recipe and that dresser had me sighing - my great Aunt had a similar one. Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete