Tuesday, November 22, 2022

T Stands for the Wayside Inn and Grist Mill



An outing with Teague, and we decided to be ladies who lunch and to have lunch at Longfellow's Wayside Inn. I did a previous post when Himself and I stopped for lunch


The Inn is a very popular destination and looked crowded. I wondered if we would have a long wait to get a table. No wait and we were seated in the Tap Room, cozier than the main dining room.


I ordered a chicken club which came with fries (chips), a pickle and pepper relish, and I had unsweetened ice tea for my beverage.


After lunch, we stopped up the road a piece to visit the Grist Mill. They Wayside Inn and property was purchased by automobile entrepreneur, Henry Ford. He made improvements to the Grist Mill, and the building of the Martha Mary Chapel across the street from the mill. You can read over 300 years of history of the Inn and property here

Teague was married at the Martha Mary Chapel and wedding photographs were taken at the Grist Mill.



The mill is a working mill and is still in operation today. Cornmeal and wheat flours are ground and used to bake cornbread and rolls at the Inn. 



The power to drive the water wheel comes from a stream of the Sudbury River.




In the basement of the mill was this decapitated statue. Since it was close to Halloween when we visited, we thought maybe St. Francis (I'm guessing because of the little bird on his shoulder) was trying out for the part of the Headless Horseman from Washington Irving's Sleepy Hollow





 I was wishing I had this Cyclone Dust Collector to automatically take care of the dusting in my house.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

32 comments:

  1. I want a cyclone dust collector too-smile. I need to visit the Wayside Inn again. I think I wrote that last time you posted. I enjoyed my digital visit though. It looks like you had a nice visit. Happy T day. Stay warm; it was supposed to be a bit warmer today. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. This restaurant looks great. Nice food, too. And the Grist mill is beautiful, great place for wedding photos! Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Grist Mill is a popular destination for wedding photographs

      Delete
  3. Good morning, I Loved this post CJ I would buy some cornmeal from the mill for sure. enjoyed the history and the photos. Happy T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, as many times as I've had lunch or dinner at the Inn, I've never purchased the cornmeal or flour. I need to go back to do that

      Delete
  4. If you figure out where to buy a Cyclone Dust Collector please let me know! I could use one too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous, I so enjoyed visiting and seeing the sights with you and your lunch looks so yummy too ☺️. Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food is excellent plain cooking. Just the way I like it.

      Delete
  6. The stone on the mill is beautiful and the wheel makes it very picturesque. Looks like a lovely historical site to have lunch and a walk. After reading everyone's tea day post, I always tell hubby I can't wait till we are retired so we can visit all these places and eat out! Haha. Your travels and restaurant visits are very inspirational.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traveling to all the the T Day locations would be a lovely retirement.

      Delete
  7. I wanna go!!! That does look like a cozy space for lunch, and your sandwich looks delicious. That grist mill looks like inspiration for a painting. Such a good thing it's been preserved. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to Henry Ford's vision and a trust established

      Delete
  8. You always go to the most interesting places CJ! In Arkansas we lived just down the road from the War Eagle Mill.. It was a fascinating place to visit.. Thank you for all the wonderful photos! A Lady's Lunch! Perfect! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the War Eagle Mill sounds like a fascinating place to visit, too.

      Delete
  9. I woulnd't mind a cyclone dust collector either! The pictures of the grist mill are great and remind me of the operating grist mill we have here. I sometimes go there and buy some stone ground rye flour. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a beautiful post. Your lunch looks good. The Grist Mill, I would love to visit there. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the water wheel. What a great place to go out to eat at; so interesting. Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My sincere apology for taking so long to visit. I realized I needed to drag myself out of bed and see what you had offered for T this week. I'm definitely not a very good host, but I want you to know I greatly appreciate your visit and for linking this week.

    Loved the grist mill. We have a working one in KS, too. Glad you enjoyed yourselves.

    Well, I'll be even later, since I got a Failed to Publish message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like it went through. Thanks for making the effort when you're not feeling well. Feel better

      Delete
    2. It didn't publish until this morning, though and I wrote it Tuesday evening.

      Almost forgot to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving, too.

      Delete
  13. Sorry to be so late. After food shopping yesterday I only had time to write my post before going for meal and to see The Lion King at the theatre with my youngest son.
    The Wayside Inn looks charming and I would definitely like the food. The Grist Mill looks to be in good condition- we have quite few restored mills in the UK. Quarry Bank where we visit the gardens has a watermill and big weaving sheds. Enjoy Thanksgiving, belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that old mill! Still looking after sick kitties, so I'm very late to the party. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, poor kitties. I hope everyone feels better soon.

      Delete