Saturday, November 19, 2022

Fun Facts About the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

 
Click on the map to see details about the state

Massachusetts is known as a commonwealth. What's the difference between a state and a commonwealth?

There is absolutely no distinction between a state and a commonwealth in terms of politics and laws. In the case of Massachusetts, the name was used in the state's constitution drafted in 1780 by John Adams.

There are four commonwealths in the United States: Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Kentucky.

16 comments:

  1. Only four in such a huge country... hm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, there's only 1, Massachusetts. The other 3 copied us. 😉

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this post. Awhile back I was watching something referring to the state of Massachusetts, and that got me thinking about how it's a commonwealth. Then I was trying to think at the "states" that are commonwealths, and I couldn't think of Kentucky. I was too lazy to look it up. Now I know which one I was missing. Smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I like your response to Iris! 🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to be living in a commonwealth, sounds better than state. Have a great weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know that! Certainly didn't know Kentucky was a commonwealth. Thanks! This was great info. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this ...
    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to be late visiting. I've been very sick and have mostly stayed in bed with the cats.

    I knew about Massachusetts was a commonwealth, but not the others. I DO know that Louisiana has parishes. The extent of my feverish brain this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take it easy. Take two cats and a cup of tea. Feel better soon

      Delete