Monday, December 5, 2022

Thoughts on Blogging

 

I'm steal borrowing a blog topic my friend, Andy Fish, posted on his blog the other day. The discussion involved how maintaining a blog can sometimes be a chore and may take one away from other (creative) endeavors.

I began blogging back in 2006 and started my blog on Yahoo's platform. It was simple to use and there were some fun emoji things to use. The downside was it was only open to those you made contact with on Yahoo. Then a year later, Yahoo decided it wasn't keeping the blogging platform. An author friend told me she had a blog on Blogger so I moved to Blogger.

At about the same time, Andy was teaching a class at WAM on how to blog. Even though I had been blogging for a while, I signed up. I wanted to see if I was doing it right, and if there were any tips/tricks Andy had to offer. Andy's a savvy guy and a bit like my E.F. Hutton. That means when Andy talks, I listen. (Not all the time 😉)

I must have been on the right track. A year or so later, Andy was teaching another class at WAM, and was on his deathbed with a sinus infection when he had to call in sick to cancel the class. He was asked if there was anyone that could sub for him. He gasped out my name before passing out, and I was called to sub his class. It was the first night of class so the students would be setting up their blogs, and we went through the ins and outs of the features (which used to work the way they were supposed to back then.)

Since the class was geared towards artists, Andy pointed out that  Blogger was a free platform to get your work "out there" and a good start before shelling out money for a web page and domain name.

That's how I initially began, too, but I didn't want to limit myself to just showing my work and talking about calligraphy. I thought readers would become bored.

My blog turned into a sort of diary. I didn't worry about pleasing an audience, but focused on what interested me. If people read my blog, I'm happy, and if they leave a comment, I'm thrilled. 

In Andy's class, he stressed if you wanted people to visit, you needed to provide them with fresh content. You didn't have to blog every day of the week, but whatever fit your schedule. If you could only blog once a week, then each week, you had to put something up. 

I started out blogging a few days a week. Then week days and gradually I built up to blogging 7 days a week. Once I started hitting the 30 or 31 day count, I didn't want to spoil my record. Is it a chore? Sometimes, but after all these years evolving the blog and thinking about Andy's post from last week, I realized blogging is a creative outlet for me. 

Everything I do becomes potential blog fodder. I like to write and to find an image (my own or copyright free clipart) to illustrate my post. I find it helpful to have a theme for most days. I have an erasable calendar where I can fill in the calendar with topics I want to write about and since the calendar is erasable, I can easily move topics around. I like to schedule blog posts ahead of time so spend Sundays, break time, or procrastinating preparing a post.

I also like the connections and friendships I've made through blogging. I enjoy having "conversations" with those that stop by to read and comment. I also try to reciprocate and comment on other blogs.

18 comments:

  1. I began blogging in May of 2006 on blogger and just posted random for-my-own-amusement posts, including progress on my fitness goals, books I read, movies I watched. As I watched more and more movies that took over the space. I still wouldn't have anybody commenting if I hadn't found Elizabeth's T Stands for Tuesday link-up. I also got introduced to ATCs through her blog, and that was great fun. I am grateful for the connections, the bloggers like you who are willing to connect on Facebook, and all I've learned through the folks I've "met" through blogging. Blogging has been a lifesaver for me at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lifesaver is a good point to make especially during the pandemic when we were limited in our movements. It was good to keep up social interactions.

      Delete
  2. Family encouraged me to start blogging because they were sick and tired of hearing my stories over and over! 🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started blogging in 2005. Very sporadic, since I was still running a Yahoo group at the time. When I finally got serious about blogging, I try to blog every day. I may miss a day or two in the year, but certainly not many. There are years I didn't miss a single day.

    My blogging posts often consist of lots of photos and art. It's hard to make art every day of the month, then load it onto a very slow internet, much less write a description. But I now consider it my day job, so I do what I can.

    Thanks for this reminder that blogging is NOT dead, at least not for a few of us die hards who refuse to be sucked into Twitter, Instagram, and Fbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook are microblogging platforms and have their use, too, but there's nothing like reading a blog with a cup of tea/coffee, becoming absorbed in the post, and/or delighted by the eye candy

      Delete
  4. Prowadzę bloga od 7 lat. Przynosi mi wiele radości.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By chance out of boredom I googled "Perth"and ended up at a blog. What´s a blog? And why does she state she cannot get red onions at Woolies?
    I ended up with my own blog, wanting to commmenr/ask and that same year went to Perth and met her in person.
    I am so thankful!
    Through Ingo´s sickness, my job-loss bloggers helped me through!
    And yes, it´s an outlet and yes, it should be fun!
    And yes, let us all stay and keep on rolilng!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter told me back in 2010 that I needed to blog, and post my writing there. So, that is what I have done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting to read this post, thank you.

    Our website and blog started back in 2008 ...

    In recent years the blog has become more like a magazine sharing not only low carb news but other items which we hope is of interest to readers.

    The blogging community is a great place, it's fun and interesting to 'hop across' to someone's blog and spend a little time with them.

    Here's to more blogging and friendship.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always cool stuff to learn and friends to meet while blog hopping

      Delete
  8. Funny you write this post as I've thought a lot about blogging lately. I started out the same way-keeping my blog as a diary. And I still do that to some extent. Sometimes I feel boxed in by my blog, trying to keep up with challenges.But, also like you, I find putting a post together a very satisfying activity. And I love having an art circle and meeting so many people all over the globe. It is hard to keep a blog fresh though, as sometimes I feel like I show the same type of things over and over. On the other hand, I write what interests me. I hope you don't get too much rain tomorrow. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think just posting something makes a blog fresh.

      Delete
  9. Blogging is mostly fun, lately it's been hard for me as my fingers are very uncooperative! Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you use speech to text software? If you're using Windows 10 or 11, you can set it up.

      Delete