Thursday, September 12, 2024

A Letter to the Teacher

 

My calligraphy teacher, Gerry, recently celebrated a milestone birthday. (Aren't all birthdays milestones?) Her Young One invited Gerry's family and friends to submit a video for a montage on Tribute.

As a prompt, we were asked to tell our favorite memory of Gerry and make a birthday wish for her. 

There are so many memories of Gerry, it was hard to pick just one. So I wrote her a letter, in calligraphy of course, along with a decorated initial and suitable decoration. I held the letter in front of my face while I read the letter and recorded the video. At the end, I popped out from behind the letter, as if Gerry wouldn't be able to tell who the letter was from.

"August 2024

Dearest Gerry,

Thank you for never telling me to take up knitting [ed: When I was a beginner and taking a workshop Gerry thought I would like, the instructor, frustrated with me being left-handed, told me I should forget about calligraphy and to take up knitting. As if that would have been any easier!, but I digress] Thank you for being the most caring, sharing teacher and friend. 31 years ago, you infected me with the calligraphlu and I'm so glad I never recovered.

Have a healthy and amazing creative year as you make another trip around the sun.

Happy Birthday"

12 comments:

  1. The letter is so special, for all the care you've taken with it.
    You're right, every birthday is a milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, and your lettering is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for ALL THE LEFTIES! (Terrible thing to say to someone, I've gotten that attitude too over the years!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. to your comment today:
    Thhat was a story about a man I found at Facebook! ;-)
    I wrote: "I have something else from FB for you today:"....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful caligraphy. Glad you enjoy it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great letter and it looks amazing. Why would someone suggest knitting? It's nothing like calligraphy. Hope you enjoyed this beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes to the typical slam that left-handers can't do calligraphy and should take up another hobby.

      Delete