Tuesday, September 17, 2024

T Stands for the Kitchen and Butler's Pantry at Castle in the Clouds

Especially for Robin, the kitchen and the butler's pantry at Castle in the Clouds, Lucknow Mansion, Moultonborough, New Hampshire


The table in the kitchen was set for tea for members of the staff. Each folder had a "bio" of the duties of people who might have worked in the home.


The oven and stove


Kitchen sink. The tile floor was made of rubber and pieced together like a mosaic. Apparently, the floor material was another state of the art feature and nearly indestructible. The pattern made me dizzy.


Storage closet for kitchen tools. The items in the house did not belong to the Plants, but were items that were used during that time period. 1914 - 1941.


View from the Butler's Pantry


Here's my T Day ticket. Grab a cup for coffee or tea


Sink in the butler's pantry


State of the art appliances and technologies are seen throughout the house. At first we thought this was a dumb waiter and then realized it was a refrigerator and freezer. Not an icebox! The cooling system for the units was ammonia brine refrigeration system. The house was also equipped with a central vacuuming and intercom system.


The intimate and tastefully decorated dining room.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

19 comments:

  1. It's interesting to see how some people lived in the first half of the 20th century.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me grateful for all the modern conveniences we have

      Delete
  2. I think in that kitchen it´s no good idea to drink a beer or wine... not with that floor-pattern, LOL. Happy T-Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't mind a kitchen like that, wow! Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as I didn't have to cook or clean it. 😺

      Delete
  4. Old kitchens are really fascinating. The refrigeration system is especially interesting to me because I’m reading a book on the history of “cold” technology.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plant was way ahead of his time. Most people were using ice boxes and having blocks of ice delivered weekly or a couple of times a week

      Delete
  5. First of all....THANK YOU! I enjoyed that VERY much! Secondly, that stove!!!!!!!! OMG What a work of art! I don't think I would have minded being a servant if I had that kitchen to work in! The view out of the pantry window is gorgeous! (Although I imagine I'd be fired for spending too much time in the butler's pantry staring out the window! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The butler had the best view. I don't think I'd like to be the one to keep that stove cleaned and polished. Seems manufacturers back then took pride in making their products not only work well, but look beautiful, too.

      Delete
  6. I loved seeing this kitchen. Cooking must have been full time work for all households in those days. And this kitchen was probably far more state of
    Art than the average persons. Hope you’re having a great T day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this household had to have good trucked up the mountain, too.. I hope you got outside today too

      Delete
  7. Loved this.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed by the icebox alternative. Sweet! I'd love to see the rubber floor in person

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous place to visit, so interesting 😊. Wishing you a happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful place! And interesting too. They were quite ahead of their time really with all those modern touches.
    Happy (belated) T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete