Thursday, April 23, 2020

My New Pet

I didn't start out with the idea of getting a new pet. It all started a month ago with the first foray to the grocery store. No paper products. Well, I had enough to get through the week. No bread. No big deal. I'd just bake bread. So I baked bread for a couple of weeks and was running low on yeast. Another grocery run. Scored toilet paper and paper towels 👏, but no yeast and no flour. I still had flour available, but how could I bake a leaven bread without yeast? How did bakers bake leaven bread before commercial yeast was available?


They fermented flour and water to make sourdough. And that's how I got a new pet. His name is Blundo. Named after the baker where my grandma sent me to buy her bread. Blundo needs to be fed periodically, and he makes a delicious loaf of bread, biscuits, waffles, and other goodies.

So, the yeast problem was solved, but now flour isn't always on the shelf. Anyone know how long it takes to plant and grow Hard Red Winter Wheat?

This post was written two weeks ago. Since then, I've used up Blundo to make biscuits and waffles which I froze. I couldn't seem to get the timing down for feeding and baking. Either I wasn't feeding Blundo enough or waited too long and missed the peak when it would have been perfect for bread. It just became too frustrating for me so Blundo is no more. Sourdough bread baking just isn't my fort. I'll stick to baking with commercial yeast when I can find it.

22 comments:

  1. Well done on doing your own baking, I'm sure it tastes great. I haven't done much baking lately, not really worth the trouble when I'm on my own all the time. Have a great day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first loaf came out good. I haven’t been able to bake another sourdough loaf so went back to baking regular yeast bread

      Delete
  2. The bread looks great...you will have to give me the recipe..when I can get some yeast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the loaf in the picture doesn’t need yeast. Just the sourdough starter.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, sourdough starter is very picky.....but oh so yummy! :D Your loaf looks PERFECT! (Husband's always looks a little wonky...tastes great but if you were judging on looks he'd fail! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe I used called for the bread to be baked in a loaf pan instead of free formed. The loaf pan makes the difference

      Delete
  4. Back in my young married days I gave sourdough baking a try. I kept forgetting to do whatever it is you're supposed to do to maintain it :( Your bread looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just can't seem to get the timing sequence down.

      Delete
  5. have you tried buying flour online? I have always bought hubs wheat flour (king arthur) in 25 pound bags and then broke it down in gallon ziplok bags and store in freezer-we used to have two deep commercial freezers we just brought one to the lake house-no room for two. it usually will last a year or a bit more-someone else had written about shortage of flour-sad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I tried at King Arthur online as KA is my preferred brand of flour. They don't have any available. It's been hard finding flour in the grocery stores.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear Blundo didn't work out for you. Did you leave it out or refrigerate it? I have tons of yeast. If you send me your address I'll mail you some. If you want any that is. My email is dekn@tds.net if you want to send me your address. Of course, you need flour to do that. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great you tried and you were able to make some yourself! I haven't bought or tried to make anything with yeast but I have found that flour is hard to find - we have been making a lot of flour-less recipes here! :)

    Hope that you are having a good week :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, flour, eggs, yeast are hard to find now. I think everyone is staying home and baking.

      Delete
  8. Very interesting CJ! I'm proud of you for giving this a try. Your bread looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sourdough loaf was amazing. I just couldn't re-create the steps to make another.

      Delete
  9. Bet your house smells great! Had some wonderful sourdough bread in San Francisco many, many years ago - so good that it was the highlight of the trip:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Brother had sent us a sourdough bread gift from a San Francisco bakery. Amazing!

      Delete
  10. I've never baked bread. Heck, I can barely bake a pizza (grin). Regardless, that first loaf looks great. I bet it tasted great, too. I can't even fathom baking with yeast, let along baking with your pet. I'd have given up sooner than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking with yeast is not as difficult as it sounds. It is time consuming as you need time to let the yeast do its magic.

      Delete