Tuesday, April 21, 2020

T Stands for Ravioli

For the dough: 4 cups of all purpose flour, 4 eggs, and 4 egg shells (both halves) of water I dump everything in my Kitchen Aid stand mixer and with a dough hook knead the dough until it is smooth. (Basically 1 cup flour, 1 egg, 1 eggshell water per person)

Ma did things the old-fashioned way. She dumped four cups of flour on her bread board, made a well, added the eggs and water. She mixed and kneaded the dough by hand until she had a smooth dough


After the dough has been kneaded and is smooth, it's wrapped in plastic wrap and rested for 30 min. 

Ma let her dough rest in a large soup bowl with another large soup bowl on top like a lid.

Oh, before mixing the dough, I dumped the Ricotta cheese in a strainer with a bowl to drain. While the dough was resting I plopped the cheese in a clean, dry bowl and mixed in 1 egg, salt and pepper, and mozzarella cheese (maybe half a cup)


After the dough has rested, it is divided and rolled into 4 balls. One dough ball is placed on a lightly floured bread board. The other dough balls are placed in a covered Corning ware dish.(Ma's). Again, Ma used the covered soup bowls so the dough balls wouldn't dry out.


The dough ball is rolled out


until it is very, very thin. You need to be able to see through the dough. Here. I can easily see the wood grain of my board so I'm pretty sure the dough is thin enough.


With a teaspoon, I plop the ricotta cheese mixture in a row, leaving some space between.


Then I carefully fold the dough over the cheese.


When I was little, Ma had a juice glass that she used to cut the ravioli. The glass had pictures of girls in old-fashioned hoop skirts. I used to call the glass (there was only one) The Old Susannah glass. Sadly, the glass broke, and I always teased Ma that she broke my inheritance.

I used a glass that my dad gave the girlies, they each got one. A Mickey Mouse glass and it's the perfect size.


It's not so much a traditional ravioli, but more like a mezza luna, a half moon.


3 sides of the ravioli are carefully crimped with a fork. You need to make sure you don't make holes in the cheese or it will ooze through the dough. The fold side doesn't need crimping.

Ma didn't like people in the kitchen while she cooked. The kitchen was divided by a counter. One side, a very efficient U-shaped kitchen, and the other the eating area. I could watch her from the eating area. By the time I was 6 or 7 years old, my job was to crimp the ravioli. Ma didn't like doing that job. It also meant she could churn out the ravioli quicker if she didn't have to stop and crimp them.


The scraps of dough are set aside.


The ravioli are placed on a sheet pan that was lightly oiled. An experiment to see which worked better. It's easier to remove the ravioli if the sheet pan or board is lightly floured.


Oops! Someone forgot to add the mozzarella to the ricotta cheese. No wonder why the ricotta mixture seemed runny! I blamed the brand of ricotta cheese, as it wasn't the brand Ma used to use. And I'm glad I wasn't serving these to company. 


After the ravioli are cooked, the scraps will be gathered up and cooked. Waste not, want not. Ma called these Shooshelies. That's what it sounded like in the Italian dialect her family spoke. Shooshelies. Shoe strings. The Brother didn't like ricotta cheese so when Ma made ravioli she cooked the shooshelies for the Brother for his meal.


Fresh pasta cooks a lot faster than commercial boxed pasta. Maybe 5 to 6 minutes. You know when the pasta is cooked when it floats to the top of the boiling water.


Ravioli drained, plated, smothered in gravy (sauce) and sprinkled with Pecorino Romano freshly, grated cheese. Mangia!

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

45 comments:

  1. Oh wow I loved your post-I made raviola one time just to try it-allot of work-but so fun and worth it in the end Nothing better than fresh pasta.
    Happy T oh I love your Micky glass-perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I am almost drooling. Give me a ring if you make more, I'll pop over! And I love the thought of the shoe strings, too. M auntie Fanny used to make something similar, she called them 'Fädele' - threads. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that word, Fädele. I'll think of that next time I make the ravioli and shooshelies

      Delete
  3. Oh these look so delicious! I've never made ravioli and you make it look pretty easy! Thanks for sharing, and making me hungry this morning. Smile. Have a great T day and stay safe. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fairly easy. The dough needs to be very smooth and elastic.Not sticky Like a silky feeling or a baby's bottom. When rolled out, it needs to be very thin. Thin enough to see through.I think actual chefs call it the window pane test

      Delete
  4. Great post. Thanks for sharing all of the steps, with photos included. These look delicious. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing! I am inspired. 😘

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I'm hungry! LOL ;) Your family is lucky to have you cook for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't cook like this all the time. I have to be in a mood or a special occasion as this is an all day process

      Delete
  7. Oh my, ravioli is one of my favourite! I was just admiring Erika's lobster filled ravioli starter and now you have answered my prayers with this yummy recipe - thank you 😁. They look so delicious! Happy T Day wishes! Keep well! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandmother and I made dough like your mother. Actually, my grandmother's sister was the one who showed me, because my grandmother didn't want anyone in her kitchen, either. I was NEVER allowed to even get my own glass of water. What was it about women in that age and time?

    Aunt Betty and I made noodles several times. It was fun, but the one time I made them on my own, it was a disaster. They didn't dry long enough and I cut them too thick. Talk about a doughy mess.

    Your ravioli looks wonderful. I would enjoy that, too. Can you tell I'm hungry?

    Had to laugh at your inheritance. Love the glass you used for T this Tuesday, though. Did you realize you didn't add your link? I missed you, is why I came looking for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the women wanted a distraction or little hands to help when the women had so much to do and could do things faster.

      And I just realized while I was making dinner that I forgot to add the link. Did that now. It was a busy day as diplomas have arrived to be lettered.

      Delete
  9. there is nothing like homemade, fresh pasta-yum!! Been awhile since I've made any...now I think it's time again:) Thanks for all the step outs and story to go with it. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, i'm impressed by anybody who cooks and seems to like it - let alone making ravioli from the get go and not taken right out of the freezer already "crimped'and everything. I enjoyed reading about your mom and also your role in the ravioli making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ravioli is one of my favorite dishes. Ma would sometimes make ravioli for my birthday.

      Delete
  11. When I was a kid, our Italian neighbor taught us how to make homemade tortellini. I was an expert folder. Go me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you come back East, you can come over and show me!

      Delete
  12. MMMMMM. I will have some THAT please - Thank you very much! LOOKS DELISH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceej passes a plate of ravioli to my Lady. 😊

      Delete
  13. Ohhh, we still have those glasses at times available. smaller ones, it´s mustard glasses.
    And it works, too! I didn´t need any mustard, but they had Die Maus on it, so I bought it. I fall for stuff like that ;-)

    Yumyumyum, now I crave homemade ravioli!!! Not that I ever had some...

    Btw. I live in The City of Henry The Lion, that´s why I collect the Lions :-)

    Here is a little post about the tale, if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.S. and if you like to join your Lions send the Siblings to flaviakaiser@gmx.de - Henry would love to have them in the blog. No worries if not!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your ravioli looks delicious, Its years since I made my own and I remember drying the long lengths over the clothes air dryer in the kitchen. Thanks for taking me down memory lane.
    I did enjoy reading your post.
    Stay safe.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't dry the ravioli. Just as soon as they are all stuffed and crimped they get cooked. You can freeze them on cookie sheets in the freezer. I've never done this, either.

      Delete
  16. Wow, that takes me back to my days in Italy (I lived in Italy for more than 10 years). I use the same proportions as your ma (cup of flour, one egg plus one eggshell of water or oil).I didn't make ravioli that often as I had a full time job and a kid running around. But when I did, I would use a pasta machine that clips onto the table and I could roll out the pasta very thin (I have never been able to make it so thin by hand). Then I used a tray (a bit like the ice cube trays from the freezer). One layer of pasta, then the filling (usually with ricotta and spinach), then the second layer. Job done. It's a shame we can't get ricotta here, as I am itching to make ravioli again.
    Thank you for these lovely memories.
    Stay healthy,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the kitchen hacks using the ice cube trays. As I said these are really more mezza luna than ravioli, but we always called them ravioli

      Delete
  17. How'd I miss this yesterday? We have a marble rolling pin, and that's the way to go. I've never made ravioli, but I love it at restaurants. It's just always looked so time-intensive. Yours looks delicious :) I have a box of frozen ravioli I'll make do with for now ;)

    Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You missed this because I forgot to upload my link to the party page. Ravioli aren't too difficult just labor intensive. And I've used the frozen ones from time to time, too

      Delete
    2. Ah, but I subscribe to your blog in a news reader, so I missed it there, too lol That's where I finally saw it.

      Delete
  18. Oh! wow! This is fascinating and looks delicious! Belated Happy T Day! Chrisxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow, loved your ravioli instructions. I've never made it before...looks like quite a bit of work! But so yummy looking. I'm impressed that you remembered to take photos of each step along the way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very time consuming so you have to really love the people you would make them for 😺

      Delete
  20. CJ, I would love to have a bowl right now! So good!! Thank you for showing us the process! Your mom, sounds exactly like mine! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom wouldn't allow you in the kitchen while she was working either? 😺

      Delete
    2. Nope! LOL! But, when she wanted to me learn, I had to! LOL!

      Delete