Sunday, August 22, 2021

How Does Your Garden Grow?

 

Very tall Goldenrod


A new weed called a Groundnut. A climbing vine apparently related to peas and beans


Timex left a stash of sunflower seeds


Bee but sticking out of the Touch-Me-Not or Jewelweed.


A red hornet


 Milkweed Tussock Moth. Don't touch!


Lots of rain, heat, and humidity causing the Morning Glory leaves to yellow



Bee in the Goldenrod



Audrey 2 emerging from the greenhouse


Bird enjoying the new feeder out front


Hydrangea looking better than it has the past couple of years


A new garden flag no sooner went up and had to be taken down


as all the lawn gewgaws and plants had to be moved inside as we prepare for Hurricane Henri. A category 1 hurricane (winds at 75 mph) moving up the Eastern seaboard of the US and expected to make landfall Sunday morning somewhere between Long Island, New York and  eastern Connecticut


Ink and Beggar safely inside


The greenhouse buttoned up. Hopefully, the house will provide a bit of a wind break for the greenhouse.


Morning Glory pots and their hooks laid on the ground. All the Zensical garden stuff brought in.


Bird feeders taken down.


Hatches battened. All we can do is hope that those in the storm's path come through it safely.

How does your garden grow?

22 comments:

  1. I hope you weather through this latest storm.

    Again, I'm worried about you and Erika. I hope you don't lose power. PLEASE stay safe, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The storm has been downgraded to a tropical storm. Still strong. Hopefully by the time it makes landfall, it will lose some of its punch

      Delete
  2. Your garden is looking good. Are the plants which mustn't be touched poisonous? Stay safe in the storm! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not poisonous, but when touched the seed pods explode. Native Americans used the plant medicinally. Sap from stems and leaves supposedly relieves itching from poison ivy

      Delete
  3. Looks like you're ready for the worst. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it goes a different way! :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The storm was going West of me as of Sat. night. The track changed and now the eye of the storm looks like it will pass right over my house 😱

      Delete
  4. I am glad to read about the storm losing a bit of its punch.

    I wanted to tell you, based on your comment about today's flag, that is NOT the Kansas flag, but the flag of Wichita. Kansas's flag has Ad Astra Per Aspera (to the stars through difficulties) on it in addition to bison being chased by Native Americans, a steamboat, a wagon train, a log cabin, and a man plowing his field using two horses. I don't get the mountains in the background because we have NO mountains in KS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you and your garden weather the storm safely. Goldenrod is such a wonderful plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far. So good. The track of the storm changed and made landfall a bit further west of here. It was also downgraded early this morning from a Cat 1. hurricane to a tropical storm. I think it has lost some of its ooomph as it goes over land.

      Delete
  6. I think your garden is looking good.
    Thinking of you, and hoping you stay safe in the storm.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The storm fizzled a bit for my area. Not complaining! Thanks for thinking of me.

      Delete
  7. The garden is looking great CJ. I have goldenrod this year too. I will probably regret it next year, but I left it for the bees. It is nice color. And did I notice all your plant pots you showed us the other day painted with doors and windows? Hope you're staying dry and didn't get much for wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bees really love the goldenrod. The pots with the windows are the previous pot project which was the lighthouse to hide the well cap. The storm moved further west than predicted so wasn't as bad for this area. Anne and Teddy might have gotten the brunt of the storm.

      Delete
  8. What A Lovely Garden Growing Post - Fall Is In The Air Around These Parts - Enjoy The Week

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving your garden and that new garden flag is stunning 😀. I was so impressed with your preparation for the storm, I hope it passes through safely! Take care and wishing you a happy new week! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Storm prep is a superstition I have. If I take the time to go through things, the storm either fizzles or doesn't happen. Nothing much came of Henri all due to my storm prep 😺

      Delete
  10. Your yard is looking so nice. And i wish I could actually see a caterpillar on a plant. A tussock moth - never heard of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos of the little insects! Glad to see the birds back at the feeders! I need to get a new bird feeder! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you weather through this latest storm.

    ReplyDelete