Tuesday, May 28, 2024

T Stands For The First Cemetery Hop of the Season

Spring her in Massachusetts has been mostly wet and chilly. Last week, we had the first of Summer like weather so Teague and I decided to do something on our weekly visit.


The weather was my kind of weather. Temperatures pushing 90 oF (32 oC) and an increase in humidity. Just look at that incredible, blue sky Before it got too hot, we headed to St. Patrick's Cemetery in Watertown, just outside of Boston. Teague was looking for a great aunt. 

As is my habit while I help look for the relatives, I visit some of the neighbors and take photos of interesting headstones like the beautiful Celtic cross above.


This little stone belongs to Baby Angelo. The stone is weathered with age and hard to read. Little Angelo didn't make it past his first birthday. I loved the cherub carved in the stone.


As many times as we have visited the cemeteries, I'm always surprised how few visitors have stopped by. I started noticing a few graves with flowers so I took pictures of them. This one had a mix of artificial flowers and someone left a pot of fresh flowers. I wonder if the visitor was there for Mother's Day on May 12.

We searched the area of the cemetery where Teague's relatives were supposed to be buried. We couldn't find a grave. Teague had a map and asked a groundskeeper if we were searching in the right area. He said we were and he couldn't locate the graves.

Teague said it wasn't unusual for her family not to have a stone marker. 


She thought this empty plot was where he relatives were buried.


In between Sullivan and 


Morrison.


This cemetery allows planting and these iris were just about ready to bloom


Another Celtic cross along with a mix of fake flowers and real flowers


Some pretty purple petunias in front of this stone featuring St. Joseph and the Christ child. I also liked the carved lilies on this stone.


I really liked this stone with it's carvings coming out of the rough hewn stone.


Almost like the stonecutter was still working on it.


After the hot work of roaming the cemetery and just past the noon hour, it was time to find some place to have lunch. Since the weather was perfect, my request was some place where we could get ice cream. To me, ice cream is a Summer treat not eaten year round.

Teague consulted Mr. Google and found Cabot's Ice Cream and Restaurant in Newton. Perfect


It was cool inside the small establishment and incredibly noisy. Lots of families with school age children. A surprise mid-week why these kidlets weren't in school.

We started off with some beverages. A Raspberry Lime Rickey for me and Root Beer for Teague. I loved the Pilsner glasses.


I wanted something simple and not something huge. I opted for an egg salad sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and sweet potato fries. I ate half and took the rest home so I could get


an old-fashioned, hot fudge sundae with coconut pineapple ice cream. Teague had a sundae with mint chocolate chip ice cream, caramel or butterscotch topping, and Reese's pieces. The ice cream was a perfect ending to the day.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

29 comments:

  1. I enjoy a beautiful cemetery, but I really enjoy an ice cream sundae. It might only be early morning, but now I want one. Now-ha ha. I hope you didn't get too much rain. And happy T day hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got some heavy downpours last night. More rain coming on Thursday

      Delete
  2. Yay for warm weather! Poor baby Angelo, or rather back then the parents...
    It´s been ages I have been on a cemetery.... My Brother and his daughters take care our parent´s grave.
    The sandwich looks like a cake - funny!
    Wow on that ice!
    Have a super T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice that your brother takes care of the grave and that the cemetery allows planting. Where my parents are buried, you can't plant anything or put up windchimes. No fun. When I visit, I bring flowers which I'm sure the groundskeepers toss the next day

      Delete
  3. The headstones are so varied. There is a company near here which renovates headstones. Interesting job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching how headstones are conserved would be cool to watch

      Delete
  4. How weird, I couldn't see the comment form and then I realised that my comment to Iris's blog was still trying to publish so that blocked it. I can see it now though! I love some of those stones, especially that last one and the celtic cross. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The large Celtic cross was amazing and the column from the rough hewn stone was very unusual

      Delete
    2. I've seen that done somewhere but I can't remember where

      Delete
  5. maybe teague’s family has flat in the ground stones, several generations back in mine do, and a few were almost sunk in…might have been the case with her family and sadly grass took over the top. the samich looks dee lish ‼️‼️‼️‼️

    wavez two ewe calli N quill…..bee bad two day 😺🐟💙

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cemeteries are fascinating places. Spring is about over here and summertime is right around the corner. Ice cream sounds the perfect thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temps were close to 90 so ice cream was perfect for the day

      Delete
  7. The dessert would have been enough for me! LOL 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy going to cemeteries. Oh I would really like to have a sundae.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cemeteries are really fascinating, we have a couple of ancient ones which I love to peruse. Your food looks good, and the ice - yummy! Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love visiting cemeteries. I could stay all day in the old sections, especially seeing the mausoleums.

    Your sundae looks wonderful and of course, your lime rickey is perfect for T this Tuesday, dear CJ. Thanks for sharing both your cemetery visit and your food and drink with us for T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older sections are always more interesting as those stone would have been carved by hand

      Delete
  11. Cemeteries are always interesting to visit. It’s a shame they don’t have photos like they do in Italy.
    What a shame your friend didn’t find the grave she was looking for.
    Oh my! Those sundaes!
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will have to contact the church to find out the information. There was no rhyme or reason to the numbering in the section of the cemetery

      Delete
  12. I love cemeteries so your adventure looks fun to me. Love all the different markers and flowers. Lunch looks really wonderful - wow. I would have gotten the same as you. Happy T-day and hugz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cemeteries are fascinating places.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Your blog background kinda smacked you right in the eye! Love it! After many many years the free background on my blog disappeared, probably because the blog hosting it, disappeared too, and so far I've found nothing I like, or can afford or can download, but I will keep hunting! and trying! Love the stones, there was a lot of painting of stones before covid, people would find them and take a picture and add it to some online group, then go hide them somewhere else. Haven't seen any since. Sorry I'm sooo late with T for Tuesday, but I'm typing from somewhere else this week end and have a bit of spare time!! HappY late T day ! ((Lyn))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to get blog backgrounds from The Cutest Blog on the Block, but it seems they have vanished, too. Lately, I've been using free vector images from Freepik You have to post an attribution, but there are tons of free images, photos, vectors to choose from on any topic you can think of. There's a paid subscription too if you care to go that route

      Delete