Tuesday, June 11, 2024

T Stands for Mystery Fine China

 

Our niece contacted family members to help her identify some pieces of china found in her mom's house. Her mother is in long-term care for Alzheimer's and the Niece is in the process of cleaning out the house so it can be sold.


I recognized this set. Shortly before or after I was married, my MIL took me upstairs to her attic and pulled out a box and showed me her wedding china. The pattern was made by Edelstein and is Maria Theresia Three Roses. 

I don't know why she showed it to me. As far as I know her two girls had never seen the china until their mother passed. When they were cleaning out my MIL's house, my youngest SIL was expecting and knew ahead of time the baby would be a girl. The SILs wanted me to have the china. Neither of them wanted it as they didn't do any formal entertaining and people were starting to get away from purchasing fine china and silverware.

 I already had a set of china of my own. I told the youngest SIL that items like china, silver, and jewelry were usually passed down through the maternal line. If she didn't want the china, perhaps she should  set aside for her daughter.

The Niece was happy to know the provenance, but didn't really want the china as she didn't have the space or place to display it. There were place settings for 12.

One of the cups was missing a saucer. I told her if she wanted to keep a memento of her grandmother, she could keep the cup with the missing saucer and see if she could sell the rest of the china. I told her about  Replacements, Ltd.  a company that sells and buys china and collectibles. She could go online to see how much she could get for the pieces. The downside is that you have to ship things to them at your own risk and there is the possibility they won't buy it.

She could also find a local antique dealer to see if they would buy the china from her or she could just donate the china to Goodwill.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

26 comments:

  1. I’ve read a lot of news stories about the way that few people are any longer interested in china, silverware, or other collectibles, for all the reasons you mentioned — space, different ways of socializing, just no interest in that stuff. Times change!
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have fine china and rarely use it. I know my girlies don't want it. I'm in the same boat as my niece.

      Delete
  2. it is a pretty set. many people don’t like these items it seems, in this day and age, hopefully someone will show an interest. my mom has cups with matching saucers that came from dad’s mom; sadly no one really has need of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've become used to drinking out of a mug 10 or 12 oz. A teacup which is 6 oz. is woefully not enough tea (or coffee)

      Delete
  3. It's sad to see the traditions fade away. Our grands will inherit track suits and Stanley cups! 😲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, they won't want our crap. It will all get tossed.

      Delete
  4. Pretty china, but, as others have said, cups and saucers are just not used these days. It's nice to drink from fine china, but we live much more casually. Less washing up with mugs, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, china is a pain to wash especially if it has a gold or silver rim. It can't go in the dishwasher and has to be washed by hand.

      Delete
  5. What a pretty set. I have a set of china, but I never use it. If it were easier to get to...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The china looks so beautiful! I don't think I could part with it knowing my mum had kept it so long ❤️. Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have been there. When my parents died, their house was full of china, knick knacks, and treasures. It was awful. I live in california, they were in Illinois. I went through culling through my own stuff. I hate to think of my kids doing this. they don't really care for any of our stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absorbed my mother's stuff and am slowly getting rid of my own as I know my girlies won't want it.

      Delete
  8. It's always fascinating what you find when you clean out. China is one of those things that has gone out of sty;e for a lot of younger people. In fact, I don't ever use mine either. It's wrapped in newspaper and binned up in the basement. I wonder what your niece will end up doing with the china. You have to let us know. Hope it was a great T day. Are you excited it's almost time for Camp Ogunquit?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I hope your Niece gets the job done. 2012 from March to September I worked over-hours so each Thursday I could help my Brother cleaning out our parent´s house.
    I had to stop cause colleagues didn´t take it anymore.
    My Brother stopped, too.
    I have no idea in what condition the house it.

    Your MIL must love you :-)
    Just like my Mom did love Ingo. Oh, and my Dad did, too.

    No idea, btw, where my parents´ china went. I sure would not want it, I´m the elephant...But I think I have a pic where Ingo uses it for kale my Mom made for (us) him.
    Happy belated T-Day and thank you for the memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took most of my parents things. I donated my mother's china to Goodwill

      Delete
  10. Sorry to be so late visiting. Both my arthritis and my lupus flared up last night.

    That is beautiful china. I have FIVE sets and never use it, except the Dickens inspired set at Christmas. I watched an Antiques Road Show on PBS, where the man bought his wife a set of china and wanted it appraised. The appraiser said basically the same as you. No one wants it. I never use any of mine and it will probably go to the dump when I go. BTW, most of the gold on my gold covered china is worn off.

    Thanks for sharing this information with us for T this Tuesday, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had lots of everyday dishes. Decided to keep the Blue Willow ware and donated the other 2 sets.

      Delete
  11. My mother passed recently and my sister and I had to get rid of everything. It didn't help that we both lived in different countries and had arrived by air. But neither of us wanted the pretty china set. As someone mentioned, the cups are too small for our modern habits, and who has room to display such a set? A shame really....
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame, but times change, and we must move on.

      Delete
  12. The china looks so lovely.
    Happy belated T-Day :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s very pretty but no one wants it. - CJ

      Delete