Monday, June 24, 2024

The Desert of Maine - Part 1



Teague asked me if I wanted to go see the Desert of Maine. It's a popular tourist thing to do and I wasn't sure what to expect.


Desert of Maine was a marketing campaign to bring visitors to the area. The desert started out as farmland in the 1800s, but grazing sheep and not mindful of land conservation resulted in erosion. If you didn't read Saturday's Happy, Little Time Waster post, you can see a video with an overview of the Desert of Maine


It's a great place for kids to run up


and down the dunes


and to see some things like the spring buried in the sand.

There was also a scavenger hunt which I participated in. After you bought your ticket and left the building to begin your exploration, you could take the scavenger hunt sheet and a crayon. When you finished and found everything, you could go back to the visitor cabin and get a prize.


You had to keep a lookout for this dude, The Hermit of Maine


There were 15 blank squares on the scavenger sheet, when you found the Hermit, he pointed the way where you mark your sheet that you found the correct item. You aligned your paper and rubbed your crayon over the numbered wooden square. The scavenger hunt told the story of the Desert of Maine.


There was a maze area that had a pit where you could "dig" for gems


and you could keep 3 gems that you found. I found a carnelian, jadeite, and I think a brown jasper.


I wanted the monkey stone bench for the Zensical garden


After digging in the sand pit, there was a labyrinth to explore


and a Hobbit house to see. I didn't go in because it looked like there might be spiders in there.


Here is my scavenger sheet half way done. 

14 comments:

  1. Sand dunes remind me of here in Kansas. How fun that you participated in the scavenger hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A scavenger hunt! How fun! What was your prize?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting. Thank you for sharing.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I wonder who has the job of burying gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't really bury them, but toss the gems in the sandpit. They are easy to see.

      Delete
  5. That's very interesting. And I love seeing the photos. I think I'd do the scavenger hunt too. It doesn't look crowded. I wonder how popular it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids were still in school the week we were in Maine. I bet it's a crowded place now that school is out.

      Delete
  6. Is this what's called "making a virtue of necessity"? What a great marketing idea. I'd definitely go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think someone just took advantage of an opportunity with a scathingly brilliant idea

      Delete
  7. what fun ! I definitely would have trekked the treasure/ scavenger hunt. Have always enjoyed these 😺‼️🐟💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Mackerull would have loved digging through the big litter box! 😺

      Delete