Thursday, June 7, 2018

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

St. Cecilia's Church
Leominster, Massachusetts
To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

Skip had called me in May and told me that he would hire me and said to go to his house July 5th. Doris and the kids would be at the farm with his parents and brothers and I would be told what my duties would be. I was happy at last a job and money. My accounting teacher named Sullivan came to me and asked me if I would take a scholarship. I told him that I already had a job and was to report July 5th. And that was that.

In my last two years I did buckle down and stayed on the honor roll.

Although my French teacher, Clark, stopped me during a change of rooms and he asked me about getting marks. If I wanted a 75 could I get it. How about an 85? Yes. 90? Yes. He walked away upset. It took me some time to figure that one out. I was laying back and not working on all cylinders. My marks were up there but I could have been, if not number one at least in the upper numbers.

I went to Waltham on July 5th and Skip told me what was expected of me. In the Summer he and i would take boys of certain age to overnight camp. He would be with me on the fist night and after that I would be on my own.

When I was at the Club I would teach the boy to play games. And keep order. Also to sweep the floors before opening, etc.

He also said "there is one thing that I will ask of you. And will never ask you again. What you father decides when you go home as to whether or not you go or not go to church that is his business.

But here the job I have and yours the town residents feel that they belong to the residents. But no one knows what a boys club is like to run.

Whether Doris or I go to church or not will not raise eyebrows. Since that is optional in our religion.

But you're in a different position, so I ask you that on any Sunday you are here or on any day of obligation, I ask you to go to church. I do not want to be accused of being an Evangelist. I know that on Ash Wednesday and Fridays are days of obligation for you and you cannot eat meat. You must eat fish. Doris and I like fish so on those days we will all eat fish."

My presence in the house resulted in his own sons having to share a room as I was given one of the rooms.

My salary was $15 per week. Which was the average national income. It [ed: currency] was backed by gold and silver and it went a long way. I could get a lunch of beef stew  for 40 cents. Including bread and butter and a nice, hefty bowl. One dollar would buy 50 newspapers. So I began to save money to go to college.

14 comments:

  1. You Dad had a lot of experiences when he was young. And he seemed to learn from them all. It is always interesting to see what life was like back then, and there were definite differences I think. Least of all the weekly pay check. :) Happy Thursday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story today. I like the attitude of Skip, he was a good man. Amazing that 15$ bought so much in those days. I don't buy any newspapers these days as they are so expensive! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie and his wife, Doris, were like a second set of parents.

      In his later years, Dad complained about the price of newspapers and the fact that all they had in them were advertisements and no news.

      Delete
  3. It's amazing the pressures that are put on Catholics and they put on themselves. My friend Joseph is a Catholic and, even if he was so sick, he could barely get out of bed, he always went to mass. Your father's employer and friend Skip seemed to succumb to neighborhood convention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your father's stories. It's really amazing how much things have changed....... :-/

    ReplyDelete
  5. CJ; this weeks story brought back memories. no meat... period... during lent; I hated {and still due } fish, so it was peanut butter; it seemed we were in church everyday, though I know we weren't, and if the girls forgot to wear a hat, the nuns made us bobby pin a kleenex on our heads...no joke !!!☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D There were so many times I had to wear that stupid Kleenex on my head.

      Delete
  6. Fascinating as always. A bowl of stew for .40. I can remember candy bars being a nickel. Whoops I shouldn't have admitted to that:) Grin.
    Have a great one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the days of nickel candy bars and they were big! Not like the mini bars you buy today for nearly $1

      Delete
  7. So many things have changed! $15.00 a week? Wow! Skip sounded like he was a good man! Your father truly had so many experiences!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to believe $15 a week. That's like 37.5 cents an hour.

      Delete