Tuesday, March 10, 2020

T Stands For Wild About Harry's

Before heading out to run errands, we stopped at the bank to get cash. We were near Harry's restaurant and decided to give it another try. We had tried to eat here on Ash Wednesday, but the parking lot was so full we couldn't get in. I wasn't so sure we'd be able to get in on a Friday during Lent, either.

The parking lot was full, but there were parking spaces. Promising. Inside the diner, a waitress cheerily told us we could seat ourselves anywhere we liked. There was a booth open and seats at the counter. We took the booth.


Harry's is a diner and according to their website decorated in "vinyl galore". There are all sorts of fun and quirky posters illustrating menu items.


When I'm at Harry's my go to beverage is a Raspberry Lime Rickey, a nod to my MIL who introduced me to the beverage. I hesitated about ordering a large size. Not sure I'd be able to finish, but the waitress made it in a To Go cup.

I also had a cup of clam chowder. Himself had the lobster bisque and a Coke which I forgot to take a picture of.


Our waitress allowed me to take a picture of the back of her t-shirt with the Harry's clam guy logo. Harry's and fried clams go together. It's not Summer unless we make a stop for Harry's fried clams, and though I was tempted to rush the season, a Lenten Special item caught my eye.


Coconut Fried Shrimp. I love coconut and fried shrimp is the perfect vehicle. The only thing I didn't care for was the Caribbean tartar sauce. I'm sure most people would have found it tasty. It tasted like a spicy version of Thousand Island dressing. I don't like Thousand Island dressing or mayonnaise. I really like the tangy marmalade dipping sauce from Outback with the coconut shrimp. Still the shrimp were fried to golden perfection. Harry's batter is a bit of fried Heaven and doesn't need a sauce.


Himself had the baked Shrimp and Scallops with a mashed potato and gravy.

I was hoping Whoopie Pies would be on the dessert menu, but sadly they were not. Still a delicious lunch with leftovers.

The only downside of Harry's is the business is cash only. No credit or debit cards. There is an ATM machine in the restaurant if you need to get cash. I'm cheap and don't like  getting whacked with usurous fees from two banks to get at my own money. This time, we had cash.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

39 comments:

  1. That talk of delicious food has made me hungry, must see what I can find for lunch! Glad you got into the diner without problems this time. Love that T-shirt! Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place to eat! I love that tee shirt and the fried shrimp looks so yummy 😁. I picked up a couple of cook books and make my own whoopie pies as we can't buy them here, such a treat! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be making whoopie pies for Pi Day on Saturday 😺

      Delete
  3. Looks yummy! (and I agree with you about users fees at ATM's....ridiculous to have to pay for my own money!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yunmmy! (and I agree with you about ATM users fees!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh what yummy seafood choices! Now I'm getting hungry thank you:) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dining area isn't much on ambiance, but the food is always good.

      Delete
  6. Good morning, I haven't had breakfast yet so your food looks especially good-I love clam chowder too and anything shrimp glad you were able to find a parking spot and a booth. Fun t shirt Happy T Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bragged to Valerie how happy I was that my internet hadn’t gone out due to the storms that raged through my area off and on yesterday. Seems I spoke too soon. I finally gave up and went to sleep.

    I also had coconut shrimp when I went to the buffet. I hope yours was as good as mine was. Mine wasn't deep fried, though. It looks good at least, but I hope the clam chowder tasted better than it looked. That was a strange combination your husband had. I've never seen a baked potato "loaded" in that way before.

    Thanks for sharing your trip to Harry's and your Raspberry Lime Rickey with us for T this Tuesday.

    BTW, I refuse to pay ATM fees to access my own money. It sounds like I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coconut shrimp are deep fried and delicious. And did I say “baked”? I meant mashed. Since corrected. 😺

      Delete
  8. OH yum ~ I'm going to google your drink since I've never heard of it. Cracked up over the t-shirt and the happy clam images ~ Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The raspberry lime rickey is an easy mix, club soda or seltzer water, a spritz of lime juice, and raspberry syrup. For a little sweeter beverage I supposed you could substitute 7 Up or Sprite for the seltzer water.

      Delete
  9. I understand why they would be crowded during Lent. I'm glad you were able to dine there this time. (I have fish written on my calendar pages, so I don't slip up and have meat by mistake. So far, so good.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't worry about the dietary rules. New rules are you only need to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Himself likes to follow the old ways. After 8 years of parochial school, I'm a heathen 😺

      Delete
  10. "Wild about Harry" - lol. I've never tried a "Rickey." My mom favored Cuba Libras (rum and Cokes) and my dad liked Tom Collins, for which I can't even get the ingredients any more. It required "white soda." What is that anyway?

    For those of us who love seafood, where's the sacrifice in Lenten Fridays, etc.? lol

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Rickey is non-alcoholic. I think white soda might be club soda or sparkling water.

      Delete
  11. wow I would love to go there for some clam chowder and if I was still hungry, lots more! Sounds like a cool place. Vinyl everywhere - but I wouldn't want to wear shorts in the summer there, lol..ouch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, shorts in the Summer and dining in at Harry's isn't a good combination. 😺

      Delete
  12. I have never been there but I tell you, any place with great fried clams has to be added to check out list. Smile. Your food looks so good CJ. Coconut shrimp-you can't go wrong. Hope it was a super T day and you didn't get too much rain. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever want to check out Harry's. Rte. 9 Westbound, Westboro. Just past the intersection at Lyman St. and Rte. 9

      Delete
  13. Raspberry Lime Rickey sounds tempting, though I´ve never heard of it.
    The t-shirt is great! :-)
    Hm, yes, our lille post office is cash only, too. Annoying, but understandable.
    Oh, I wish I´d like shrimp!!! I do like coconut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Raspberry Lime Rickey is very refreshing especially during the Summer.

      Delete
  14. Raspberry Lime Rickey sounds like a taste I'd like. Googling... I'll be trying this one, thx! "Fried is a food group" sounds delightfully Southern ;) That's a t-shirt that would be quite at home here lol

    I lost all track of time yesterday and did everything else (including watching 2 movies lol) but didn't do blogland at all. So strange!

    Happy late T Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your meal looks really scrumptios. I would love to try that.
    I smiled at the T-shirt and logo.
    I don't pay an ATM either. Luckily in our area, cards are not that popular and I always have enough cash on me. Ordinary shops don't take cards, only the big supermarkets and big ticket shops. Restaurants do too, although I often pay cash as it's so cheap here to eat out.
    Sorry for commenting so late. I'm not up to much at the moment.
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Hugs (from a distance as I have a cold)
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an interesting place and they clearly have a good sense of humour! The food looks tasty and so unusual! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The menu at Harry's is quite extensive so if you go away hungry, it's your own fault 😺

      Delete
  17. Great place to eat CJ !! Your food and drinks may have been delicious, and sure you spent a very Happy T-day.
    I would like to include your so beautiful blog in my side-bar, could I do it ? Thanks.
    I wish you a very nice afternoon, and send big hugs,
    Caty

    ReplyDelete
  18. That place sounds great! The food looks delish and I simply must try one of those raspberry lime ricky's someday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The food looks great and I love the t-shirt! LOL!
    I'm with you about the atm fees!!!!

    ReplyDelete