Sunday, August 2, 2020

How Does Your Garden Grow?



A dragonfly looks like a plane waiting for takeoff


A new, little bunny. He has a white and a black spot on his forehead. The Young One named him Gumdrop


Beetles turning leaves to lace


This bunny was lying down nibbling the grass. Then he turned around, dug a little hole in the dirt, and rolled around. Someone must have fleas.


A new month, a new Welcome sign


It's been hot and humid all month, but the petunias don't seem to mind.


More flowers on the hydrangea


This month's garden flag


What a difference a week makes. With no rain, the grass is all brown and dry. Poor bunnies.


The morning glories in the planters don't like the heat


I've had to water them a couple of times a day


Looks like I'll have to call the bee guy back. He removed the hornet nests earlier in the week, but the hornets are back.


Cherry tomatoes


The critters left a raspberry for us


The new rain gauge


but not rain. That may change on Tuesday when Hurricane Isaias arrives. Though by the time the storm reaches here, it will most likely be downgraded to a tropical storm or tropical depression. We could use the rain as this area is in a moderate drought warning.

How does your garden grow?

15 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking good. Fun gumdrop bunny, too. I like the lacy leaves, but not th thought of beetles nibbling! Hope you get rid of the hornets soon. Have a fun Sunday, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gumdrop is very cute and so tiny. Even smaller than Clover. Himself got some sort of clay to be dissolved and sprayed on the plants. One nest of hornets is gone. The second nest was taken care of too, but it looks like I need to call the bee guy back.

      Delete
  2. Oh look! You have a 'Bob' too! (That's what Husband named our weather station.) It has the most interesting side effect.....we feel perfectly comfortable until 'Bob' tells us the humidity is high.....THEN we sweat and complain about how muggy it is! LOL Your garden looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My weather station doesn't have a name. I don't complain when the humidity is high. You don't have to shovel humidity 😺

      Delete
  3. It has been hot and humid. I hope August is a little less humid. We've got lawn burn out too, and hopefully the storm on Tuesday will help. Petunias look great. Here too. And I picked my first cherry tomatoes also. Isn't it exciting? Enjoy what's left to your weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to have garden tomatoes. Even the vine ripe tomatoes at the grocery store don't taste as good.

      Delete
  4. It took me a minute to find the dragonfly, but what you wrote was true. Gumdrop. What a clever name for this new bunny.

    Lovely sign and flag. I can tell you are happy it's summer. I'm ready for autumn.

    Most of your garden is looking good. I have to water my herbs twice a day, too. I wash my hands so often, I've started saving my wash water and using it on my herbs. I'm trying to be frugal with our precious water.

    I'm SO envious of your cherry tomatoes. Mine don't even have flowers on them yet. I think they're a bust this year. I'd say your garden is doing a lot better than mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately we own our own well and it's quite deep so we don't have to worry about watering plants. We don't bother watering the lawn. Too bad about your cherry tomato plants. Maybe a late blooming variety?

      Delete
  5. We welcomed August in with a high in the 70s and rain, so that was a shock given how hot and dry July had been. Your bunny population is fun to watch, even just in photos. I know their antics are more fun live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching the bunnies. They each have their own personalities. Some of the bunnies don't get along or are territorial so there is a lot of bunny chasing bunnies and bunnies hopping over the chasers.

      Delete
  6. I do like the name Gumdrop.

    Your petunias are a gorgeous colour, so are the hydrangeas.
    A lovely garden flag.
    Happy August Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our temp here in So. Calif is mighty high--105 for a few days now. We should put up a sunscreen over the ones turning crispy brown. We are watering them just before sunset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had several days in the 90s and a fe days a feels like 100, but no temps here in triple digits

      Delete