Thursday, January 7, 2021

Christmas Cards

 I like making cards as it gives me a chance to use up scrap paper and to add my own sentiment. Sentiments in commercial greeting cards are often too flowery and take decades to read. It's hard to find a card with a simple statement.



For the Young One. This idea came from a hand drawn card with a snowman. I used the Scan n Cut to cut out the gingerbread man, added baker's twin and Christmas light embellishments. The gingerbread man is a reference to the Young One's cocoa mug which became known as The Happy, Little Gingerbread man.



Inside: both "i"s dotted with tiny green crystal stickers


For Himself an origami Christmas tree which I am insufferably pleased with myself for being able to fold.


Inside: a simple pop up technique to make a stack of presents.

Of course in my haste to get the Eldest's Christmas package mailed, I forgot to take a picture of her card. I used the Scan n Cut and followed their cutting directions to make this card from the Brother Canvas Workspace.


I used light blue/light green paper with snow and a coordinating blue paper with a Mama and baby polar bear. On the back one mitten letters cut out to spell Holly and the other Jolly. I also included a personal note.

Did you make any Christmas or New Year cards?

27 comments:

  1. I love your cards! A very pretty one dropped into my letter box yesterday, thanks so much! So awful seeing what happened in Washington yesterday. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it arrived. And shocking what is happening to this country. No longer a shining beacon but a dire warning to other countries

      Delete
  2. Good morning, you are so talented CJ I love all of these cards
    I usually do make my own cards but this year and last year I didn't I did buy usa printed cards from Current though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Current. Bought some stickers and labels from them.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm so glad you make card. I'm always tickled to get one!

      Delete
  4. I love your cards! No, I don't make any and don't even send them any more. My daughter made great cards when she was little, with lovely drawings similar to that angel on my Facebook nativity scene photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to say thank you for the beautiful card CJ. I love it. It arrived yesterday, and then with this "event", I forgot to add it to my post today. You sure have beautiful penmanship, but of course, you do calligraphy and the beautiful medieval graphics. I will post your card, promise, and I love today's gingerbread man! Hope your day is going well. We actually have sunshine, finally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries about posting it. I'm glad it arrived especially yesterday. Not that I had anything to do with the timing.

      Delete
  6. happy new year to you and your's CJ...these cards are awesome; as is the one you sent me; I just got it !!

    can you say pony express ~~~~~~~~~~~ ☺☺♥3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I mailed them a little late so part of the pony is mine. Glad it arrived.

      Delete
  7. wow, watch out ...you're inspiring me! These are really cool and I can see why you would be so pleased with that origami tree. Lots of clever cards here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have left-right issues, a form of dyslexia. So to be able to have the origami come out correctly is a big deal for me! 😺

      Delete
    2. I TOTALLY get this. i do too. I'm ambidextrous almost evenly so... but still with a shift to the left so right handed directions or what u are talking about is very interesting to compute at times. i draw with my left...but i can only use a mouse to do my artwork digitally with my right...and on and on it goes..crazy.

      Delete
  8. Wow CJ!! Seriously, these are amazing! Very talented you are! I just read what you wrote to Sandy. Good for you, with having a form of dyslexia and accomplishing the origami!! I don't think I could do it! A+++
    (I am truly sorry for what happened in your country!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, I didn't make any cards - but I do like the ones you made :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure how I missed this, but you make incredible cards. Now you see why I don't make cards. Your designs are great and your calligraphy makes the card uniquely yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The card designs aren't totally original just combining things from other cards I have seen.

      Delete
  11. These are great cards. You're very talented. I especially love the fold out Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the paper made the origami tree look really nice

      Delete