Sunday, July 3, 2022

How Does Your Garden Grow?



The potato patch


Day lilies. Looks like someone needs to do some weeding.


Wait! I want to come outside with you! Calli and the purple petunias are the colors of Himself's alma mater, The College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts.


Last week, I got questions about where I planted the petunias and if the bunnies had eaten them. It seems that petunias are a favorite of bunnies.

The petunias didn't get planted in the ground but in hanging baskets. Too high for the bunnies to reach.

Purple petunias, purple verbena, and pink dianthus.


Dianthus are also known as Sweet William


The expensive baskets from the expensive garden center aren't as showy as when we first got them.


Red verbena. They remind me of the pinwheel peppermint candy called Starlight Mints.


There was also a question about the Queen of Hearts petunias being striped. This variety is called Queen of Hearts because of the red hearts on the petals. And a surprise when I went to look at them as the flower passes, the red color bleeds through the whole flower. 


More Holy Cross petunias


A different shade of purple petunias


More purple petunias


The other expensive hanging basket from the expensive garden shop not looking too good. Too much rain. Too little rain. Too much sun. Too little sun. Some bug? Who knows?


The little pansies by the mailbox hanging in there.


Himself's new idea to keep the slugs, bugs, and critters from eating his plants. He covered them with mesh laundry bags from the Dollar Store!

How does your garden grow?

14 comments:

  1. Maybe your expensive flowers need some fertilizer? A trimming? The Holy Cross purple petunias look so pretty though. I hope Tuesday we actually get a nice few hours of rain since the ground is surprisingly still pretty dry. Have a wonderful Sunday and also July 4 also. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get the thunderstorms with heavy downpours yesterday? I'll have to ask Himself to Miracle Grow the hanging baskets

      Delete
  2. Soooo beautiful and Calli is so sweet!
    I planted as it said on the sachets and all I have is tall green things. No flowers yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah thinking along Erikas thoughts.. Sometimes when you buy those expensive drop dead gorgeous baskets they are at their peak then quickly subside when you bring them home.. Sometimes you can get a second show out of them by cutting back and fertilizing.. Fingers crossed.. But your whole garden looks fabulous CJ! LOVE love love the petunias.. The one purple looks like Sugar Daddy.. the one with the dark purple veins.. It should smell lovely.. What a clever trick with those laundry bags! My volunteer Sunflowers are reaching for the sky!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to take pictures of your volunteer sunflowers

      Delete
  4. Mesh bags to cover the plants! Brilliant! (Let us know if it works.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Calli was doing exercises. Guess you know what she wants, though.

    I know what you mean about the fancy plants not looking good once you get them home. That incredibly expensive poinsettia and other greens my friend Sally picked up for me at Sam's two years ago is all dead except for spider plants, which I really don't need more of. I think Miracle Grow will help yours.

    BTW, I planted the last of my sunflower seeds and set the pots where the bunnies and squirrels couldn't reach them. When I went out yesterday, a BLUE JAY was digging in the soil. Guess I won't have sunflowers this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calli is dying to get outside to chase the critters. We have to be be very careful to stand in an open doorway because I'm afraid she will bolt. She also has been reaching up and trying to figure out how to open the screen door lock.

      Too bad about sunflowers. We can console each other. I was hoping I would get some volunteer sunflowers like our blog friend, Jinxxxygirl, but nope

      Delete
  6. My daylilies have stopped blooming for the summer. I think I don't get enough sun for them. Yours are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete