Saturday, July 16, 2022

Fun Facts About The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

 

In 2000, a group of third graders from Milford, Massachusetts for a civics project picked the state's colors. They chose 3 colors to represent the state, blue, green, and cranberry.

"They chose cranberry because Massachusetts once produced 70 percent of the world's crop of the fruit, . They picked blue "for Cape Cod Bay that the Pilgrims sailed over." And they chose green to match the color of the Connecticut River Valley and the Berkshire mountains". The Reference Desk

The bill was signed in 2005 making the colors the official state colors.

14 comments:

  1. Clever 3rd graders - they sure were proud of their choice being taken, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I think they did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many things i didn't know were official state things..lol I think they made great choices! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these official state things were a good way to show children how laws/bills get passed

      Delete
  4. They'll tell their children about this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they got a certificate or something signed by the governor as proof of their project

      Delete
  5. What an honor for those youngsters. We have a state flower, and a state bird. Other than that, I am impressed by all your state is known for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never realized how many official state things Massachusetts had beyond the state flower and state bird

      Delete
  6. Such great choices, love the cranberry reference too 😊. I happen to be drinking cranberry juice today so cheers! Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cranberry juice. I have some Earl Grey tea infused with cranberry that I'll make into iced tea

      Delete