Thursday, July 21, 2022

Throwback Thursday - Birthday Memories

From July 23, 2012:


 For The Young One's eighth birthday, the cake request for a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. No problem until the baking went horribly wrong. The cake layers baked uneven. So uneven, it would have taken a tub of frosting to even things out so the layers would stack on top of each other. What to do?

The gap between the layers looked like a mouth. I grabbed items I had hanging around. Desperation is the mother of invention. White chocolate chip bits, glaced fruit, and red licorice laces became the features on a monster cake and fortunately, The Young One loved it. Whew!

Twelve years later, The Young One's cake request was for chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. And then a surprise. I wish I could have a monster cake?"

"Seriously? "

"I loved that cake."


Ok. This time I went out to buy candies to use for decorations. I had to buy white chocolate chip bits because someone had opened up the package to snack on and only left two bits. Hugs, gummy worms, peach rings, M&Ms and red licorice laces jumped into the cart. The hard part was to intentionally bake uneven cake layers. without burning one side or the other not baking through. It worked and The Young One loved the result.

We spend a lot time, effort, and sometimes cash to create memories. Nostalgic memories  from when we were kids, or expose them to opportunities we never had as kids. Sometimes odd what we think what should be a memory, and what actually becomes a memory. Some thirty or forty years from now, The Young One will be saying, "That crazy, old, broad was hell on wheels with a tub of frosting and a bag of gummy worms."

Happy Birthday, Young One! I hope  today is as fabulous as it was when you were 8 years old.

20 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh, very, VERY sweet! Looks great and I bet it will become another great memory. In 30 years be prepared to bake another ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In 30 years, the torch will have to be passed to the Young One

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to the Young One! Erica V.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous save! And the memories are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your girl - the memories looking back are nice - love the cake. I'm so behind here and everywhere. Hope summer is going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Came back - i just read at several blog places about a spam folder and people's comments were going into them. So I went exploring and there were several comments by you on several posts that I never saw. so thank you... and i'm wondering if any of mine that i posted over here might have gone into your spam folder. I never knew this was a thing. Several other bloggers comments were in my spam folder. Must have started when all the problems with comments were happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the infamous spam folder and no rhyme or reason why comments get stuck there

      Delete
  6. It's amazing what you did for your Young One to make her birthday cake special. Will she do something equally special for your birthday in a few days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will still be in Ohio when my birthday rolls around

      Delete
  7. OMGosh that is so sweet she wanted another Monster Cake. They both look fabulous. You are so creative.
    Happy Birthday, Young One.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised when she asked for another monster cake

      Delete
  8. Those monster cakes are a lot of fun. My mom always made me a pretty "girly" cake that was pink and white. She used white frosting and made pink frosting flowers. I remember them to this day. I loved those cakes but now I want one of those monster cakes. It's perfect to have a birthday cake that takes a little effort from the baker, because we do remember them. A grocery store cake probably just wouldn't do that. Hope you stayed cool today. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom's cake would have been perfect for the Eldest. Hope you survived the nasty thunderstorms. We didn't get any as they headed North

      Delete
  9. Absolutely BRILLIANT! I used to love making Birthday cakes for my boys and used to make occasional ones on request from friends. Every so often those cakes come up in family conversations along with some of my embarrassing comments! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it's all about. Making memories.

      Delete