Monday, August 12, 2024

Monet and Me

 Something new for the blog. I'm mashing Monday with Whatcha Doin on Wednesday for a new Monday theme called Monet and Me.


The kitchen in the Dollhouse is very small. There is no space for an under the counter dishwasher unless I lose one of the cabinets under the sink and 5 small drawers.

Fifteen or so years ago, we had a portable dishwasher that could be rolled from a spot near the microwave cart and hooked up to the kitchen sink. It didn't take long for it to become a pain in the butt to roll the dishwasher from the sink to its spot it in kitchen. The dishwasher soon lived in front of the sink where I sort of lost the cabinets underneath. To get to them, I had to push the dishwasher away.

Then the day came when a pressure gasket on the coupler for the hose to be attached to the dishwasher gave way, and then we couldn't find another adapter. The dishwasher was moved to the end of the driveway where someone took it for use or scrap.

We went back to handwashing dishes.  This became Himself's job as he can sit down in a chair as he washes the dishes. Then the lazies set in. Dishes, days at a time, piled up in the sink, counter, and stovetop. Chaos. I can live in chaos for a bit of time, but then it begins to bother me.

Before leaving for Ogunquit, I began researching portable, countertop dishwashers. I found this model by Novete. It sits on the countertop and can be connected to the faucet or there's a tank that you fill with warm water. It's perfect for a small kitchen, or for single cat ladies or gentlemen (married ones, too).  It will hold  a table service for four: 4 plates, silverware, and cups/glasses. Pots and pans don't fit and have to be washed by hand. 

I ordered the dishwasher the day I got back from Ogunquit and through the magic of 2 day Prime Delivery it was delivered Monday last week.


It's not as portable as it sounds. It took me some maneuvering to get the box into the house, the unit out of the box, and on the counter. All was going well until I went to slide the dishwasher under the cabinets. It's an inch or so too tall. I don't care, I am not sending this back! It was easy to set up by attaching a drain hose which sits in the sink. Filling the tank works well though I have to stand on a stool as I can't reach the top of the dishwasher. The dishwasher does a great job and is pretty quiet. Me and Monet didn't have any trouble loading up the dishwasher.

I began looking for a heavy-duty, kitchen cart with locking wheels. I found one that I think will work, but I haven't ordered it yet. For now, Novete is living on the counter and I'm in love.

18 comments:

  1. What a nuisance that it is just too tall. Monet looks happy, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I was going to suggest! A cart! Great minds! LOL 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cart idea sounds good. I'd love one for my countertop oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen a dishwasher that small before. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a relatively new concept. Besides marketing to small apartment owners without a dishwasher, there were some reviews of people taking it along in their RV. That would be too heavy for me to lug

      Delete
  5. I hope this will be a good solution. I wash up by hand, it's usually just coffee cups and teaspoons! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta say - that is one amazing dishwasher. I never knew they existed. Wow. We have a dishwasher - always have and always hardly ever used them. I love to wash dishes and my husband got in the lane with me and he does the dishes every night after dinner. I always hated to load and unload dishwashers. This one though, might be more inviting at the level it is at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen such a small dishwasher, but what a great idea. Too bad it is just a bit too tall to fit under cabinets, but I don't blame you for not sending it back. I just painted a cabinet for my husband's chaos on the table. Like you, I could take it for awhile and now it is just driving me nuts. Hope the cart works. And hope it was a nice Monday too. It was a little chilly here, but otherwise not a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a chilly start, but it turned out to be a very nice day

      Delete
  8. This looks like a great unit to have! (Ugh that it was 1" too tall.) Ikea has a sturdy cart, but the wheels don't lock, and it looks like you found one that will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't bought the cart yet. Trying to decide if I really need it

      Delete
  9. My first dishwasher was a portable one you plug in at the sink. I loved it. Then I got a house with a built in dishwasher. Next, I moved to Wichita and there was no room for a dishwasher in this small house, so I have suffered dishpan hands since I moved here!! Yours is really very cute. I like the size.

    ReplyDelete