Tuesday, June 23, 2020

T Stands for Summer Solstice at Stonehenge - Part 1, Sunset

A week or so ago, I learned that The English Heritage (they take care of historic sites in England) would host a live streaming of sunset and sunrise on the Summer solstice at Stonehenge via their Facebook page. Stonehenge is a neolithic monument and has been closed to the public during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Visiting Stonehenge is on my bucket list, and this is probably the closest I'll come to a visit. Sunset was at 9:26 PM local time making it 5:26 PM Eastern Daylight Savings Time, my time zone.

The feed went live around 4 PM my time. 20. June 2020



Clouds began moving in. In the center, you can see one of the upright sarsen stones and on top a small projection, a tenon. The tenon along with a mortise (hole or groove) holds the lintel stones (horizontal stones) on the uprights.


While not much was going on, I went and got myself a cup of tea. On the right of my computer monitor, you can see the Comment area. People from all over the world were viewing the event. Some left comments mostly about where they were from, others thanking English Heritage for streaming the event, lots of  Blessed Be, ( Wiccan greeting offering good and positive things). Near the end of the event there were approximately 100,00 viewers.


There was no music. The only sounds were of the wind. At times it was eerily quiet and very meditative.


Besides leaving comments, people could also post emoticons. Here a stream of hearts.


 I was fascinated by the birds that flew in and made themselves home on the stones. Some of them were cawing so they were either crows or rooks, or both.



There are a lot of theories as to what Stonehenge is and what it was used for. A stone calendar, a worship site for Druids, a burial site, an ancestral site.


With all the clouds it was apparent that sunset would happen, but we wouldn't be able to see the sun set near the heel stone, a large sarsen stone aligned with sunset/sunrise on the Solstices.





I just loved the bird watching the sunset with the rest of us.


A depression filled with water in one of the smaller, fallen blue stones.




Day is done. Blessed be.


If it wasn't cloudy, this would have been a little what it would look like.


To learn more about Stonehenge and to take a virtual tour, you can visit The English Heritage Stonehenge site.

Next week: Summer Solstice at Stonehenge - Part 2, Sunrise.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

41 comments:

  1. Stonehenge was always one of my fave places to visit when I was living in England, and it is a wonderful experience to be here for a solstice. I have seen the winter solstice there - on my birthday, and it was unforgettable. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a good friend whose daughter lives and works in London. When she went last summer to visit, it fell on the solstice and so she signed up to take a sunset visit. She was not impressed. But looking at your photos it seems pretty cool. I would like to visit Newgrange in Ireland on the winter solstice. It is enclosed unlike stonehenge. But they say it gets so crowded you have to put your name in a lottery to go. Hope you are enjoying this heat. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though a little disappointing to not see the actual sunset, the views, the stones, and the birds were still impressive. Yes, I am loving the heat. It won't last long 😿

      Delete
  3. Very interesting, CJ. I enjoyed the video. Archeaology fascinates me.

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad the English Heritage had camera people showing Stonehenge from various angles.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. And all by hand and even before the wheel was invented. No modern tools!

      Delete
  5. I've only watched documentaries about Stonehenge but would love to visit in person. Love that you can get virtual streaming of special places like this.Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modern technology is wonderful to be able to travel to far away place from the comfort of your own chair.

      Delete
  6. A realy interesting post to read, Stonehenge is an wonderful place to visit no matter what time of year.
    Stay safe and Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just seems so magical. And with crowds of people there must be so much energy

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the link to the virtual tour. Blessed be. I wish we had circles like this scattered around where visiting one on days like this would be possible. Stonehenge Memphis, I can imagine it :) There on the Mighty Mississippi.

    Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think in this country we’d only douche it up. Stonehenge Land with some sort of goofy caveman mascot. 😺

      Delete
    2. Oh, dear, no, it'd hafta be done respectfully. I'm serious. Surely local historical groups and Wiccans could help ensure that.

      Delete
  8. Very pretty ~ Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic way to spend the Solstice sunset. Stonehenge is on my bucket list, too, but I'll probably never get there. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad for the live feed to feel as if I was there

      Delete
  10. Stonehenge is a magical place to visit, it never seases to amaze me and it's so amazing to think how it was made 😁. Wishing you a wonderful week and a Happy T Day! Take care! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mind blowing to think how they constructed it without all the modern tools.

      Delete
  11. My apologies for visiting so late. My internet went out last night, then came back on again, only to go out a second time. It often happens when it rains, but it's been so dry here, I didn't realize it would be a problem.

    We have a Stonehenge type set of sculptures in one of our parks. I've always been fascinated by Stonehenge, too. I really enjoyed this look at the live event. I wish I'd known. LOVE your Ink kitty mug. Thanks for sharing this and the Ink mug of tea with us for T this Tuesday, CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because the weather was so poor, I saw something which said the English Heritage may try again next week. As yet, I haven't seen anything about dates or time. Will let you know if I do.

      Delete
  12. This would be awesome to visit. I really enjoyed all of the photos-thank you CJ for sharing
    Happy T Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though the weather didn't cooperate, it was still cool with the help of the videographers to feel like you were walking among the stones

      Delete
  13. Oh that was very nice. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that Stonehenge has a mystery surrounding it. How fun that you were able to watch the event.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And at a reasonable hour and from the comfort of my chair 😺

      Delete
  15. How wondrous. Did you ever read Mary Stewart's Crystal Cave series? I always thing of Stonehenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read her books a long time ago. Along with a ton of Stephen Lawhead books. Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series heavily features stone circles

      Delete
  16. What a great idea of English Heritage to do the live stream. I bet you enjoyed that. It is a magnificent monument.
    I have been several times, the first time as a young girl of about 12 or 13. We were aloud to walk in the circle and sit on the stones etc. I have several photos of me and my sister on the stones. Then I visited a few times in the current situation. Last time with my mother in a wheel chair. She wanted to see Stonehenge one more time before she went totally blind.
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being allowed into the monument to walk around, touch and sit on the stones must have been magical

      Delete

  17. How impressive it is to be able to touch the immense stones of Stonehenge CJ !! I would love to visit them one day, at the moment, I am content to see your beautiful photos and the very interesting video that you have shared, thank you very much. the druids had to be happy in that magical place.
    Hope you spent a very nice T-day, and I wish you a happy Thursday,
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad the English Heritage live streamed the event so that those of us who couldn’t be there in person could be part of the Summer Solstice

      Delete
  18. I have never seen sunset or sunrise at Stonehenge but over the years have made several visits when we have been in the area! Years ago we walked among the stones which was wonderful, a few years on and you followed a path around a roped off area and it was like that for some time then, last time we visited, we had to go a long little trailer ride to go in from a different direction and the rope seemed to have been moved farther out. They have also built a huge modern visitor centre with lots of information about the area and the history! Belated Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sitting on and walking among the stones must have been so cool. I suppose the roped off area was necessary as I heard people were chipping off the stones for a souvenir. Too bad some people are such jerks

      Delete
  19. Thank you for sharing this …

    I did visit Stonehenge many, many, many years ago with my parents.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete